I'm glad we got KC

isestrex

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see us being the underdogs to the public because I mean if I weren't an Orioles fan I would be rooting for KC, but come on? People seriously think they're that much better than us?

I would too but I think we may be slightly favored. Don't know. Haven't seen predictions yet. I think we do match up well against them but this one won't be easy. I think we do have the advantage and in a way I am glad KC swept too so maybe they'll cool off some. They're a legitimately good team though.

While the Royals didn't hit HR's during the regular season that much, they have been hitting them in the playoffs and OPACY will only help their power. They outscored us 26-18 in the season series, and they have 109 more steals than we do. I think we matched up better with LAA, and was hoping we could have gotten them in the ALCS. This is like a trap series, we'll most likely have the pressure to be expected to win for the first time this season.

Thing is that the Royals are 9th in the AL in OBP, not horrible but not great, and they're dead last in walks. They're a threat to steal if they get on base. The key is keeping them off base.

Wasn't that about the same vs Detroit? No respect.

I know this, KC could never have swept Detroit. Not that this really means anything but what criteria are they using? I'd like to know.

Yeah I got ya. And as FlipTheBird said, fangraphs hate the Orioles. From what I have read, fangraphs relies heavily on pitching and advancing runners, playing small ball really. Hence, why DET was probably favored (I do not remember the numbers) and KC is favored in this series.

This is going to be a very tough series. Pitching and defense are very similar. It will come down to how well the O's control their running game vs. if they can keep the O's in the park. Most of KC's run in the regular season came off of guys who likely won't even be on the O's roster (Jimenez, Meek, Patton, & Webb gave up 17 of the 26 runs KC scored) but the O's really struggled to score against them (18 runs in 7 games).

We can win this series, but two things have to happen for us to win:

(1) Caleb Joseph makes KC pay for trying to steal bases.

(2) We can get to their starters and enter the late innings with a lead.

This will be a hard fought, close series, and it could well turn on a lucky bounce here or a single mistake pitch.

They will wreak havoc on the basepaths, they have pitching capable of shutting us down for long stretches, and they are playing with a ton of chemistry. Their bullpen will not implode like the Tigers. And you hear about stuff like this, and that type of momentum and chemistry terrifies me:

http://deadspin.com/the-royals-partied-with-fans-and-eric-hosmer-bought-eve-1642864892

That said, we have our power bats, and we have some good fly ball pitchers and if we catch the ball they cannot beat out a fly ball. And we have some chemistry and momentum of our own. This has all the makings of a classic series.

I am a lifelong Orioles fan, but I finished High School in KC during the Royals Hey Days and so KC is my second team. I think the Orioles are a little better team, and I expect/want the Orioles to win. But a lot of people are really under rating KC here. This team has brilliant defense, especially in the OF, and they are smoking hot and on a roll. The Pitching is very good, the Bullpen is just lights out. They have speed, speed and more speed. They have an edge at a few positions, we have a big edge offensively. I call it Baltimore in a tough 7 game series.

KC seems to have a team of destiny vibe, which scares me. Also with their bullpen and defense, they might be able to out-Oriole the Orioles. But the O's do seem to have huge advantages in power and managerial acumen, so hopefully that will be enough.

I agree with Nigel on the "team of destiny" thing, which is the 100% irrational reason I was hoping for the Angels. I'd much prefer having us be irrefutably The Team of Destiny this year.

I agree with Nigel on the "team of destiny" thing, which is the 100% irrational reason I was hoping for the Angels. I'd much prefer having us be irrefutably The Team of Destiny this year.

The Orioles had that team of destiny type vibe in 2012. Unfortunately, it had to come to an end and it came up short. Lets make sure that's the case for the Royals this year.

Archived