Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

If Patterson was going to be so great, every Cub fan wouldn't be trying to dump him in this trade. Same goes for Cedeno, although I have heard a few scouts that haven't given up on him completely.

I still think there are other teams that can offer 2 players better than the 3 the Cubs can offer though. Let's see if any other offers come through, we know what the Cubs will pay.

To be fair, the Cubs aren't looking to move Theriot...Cedeno is probably better than him but Lou likes Theriot.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give me your best 3 way deal assuming these are the key players:

Angels: Konerko, _____, ______

CHW: Roberts, Kotchman, ______

O's: Wood, _____, ______

KW told Konerko earlier this offseason that the Konerko to Anaheim talks were BS and that he wasn't going anywhere.

Give me your best 3 way deal assuming these are the key players:

So that Angels are giving up Kotchman and Wood for Konerko?

I believe Kotchman is already > konerko.

To be fair, the Cubs aren't looking to move Theriot...Cedeno is probably better than him but Lou likes Theriot.

I think he likes him because he has shown more so far. If an injury pops up and Cedeno holds his own, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hold it down. But it's getting awfully close to that point where Cedeno turns out to be a AAAA player.

Well, he does have a point...If EPat is that good and the Cubs need and want a second baseman, why trade 3 players for one when you can just start your own guy right now?

Plenty of contenders start rookies and succeed.

Because they want a sure thing and not go without a good 2B into a season in which they expect to win?

Again I'll cite PECOTA.

Murton .276 EqA > Huff .269 EqA

Cedeno .251 EqA > Hernandez .209 EqA

Patterson .261 EqA > Bynum .241 EqA

As you can see, it's not even particularly close.

Can't a great majority of teams offer better players than the production of Hernandez and Bynum? That tandem might well be among the worst-offensively producing duo in the major leagues in the past 10 years. It's not a real high bar, there, for the Cubs or anyone else to clear to improve our middle-infield offense. (Of course, I wonder how many playoff teams last year had middle infielder EqAs both under .262? It's not like the proposed Cubs offer provides a realistic base from which to generate a playoff contender in three or four years.)

I'd rather look to improve the middle infield next year than acquire back-ups like Murton, Cedeno and EPat for BRob - none of whom will likely every reach the all-star production of Brian Roberts. Roberts has more current production (like VORP) than all three proposed Cubs - so why should we make this trade?

Because they want a sure thing and not go without a good 2B into a season in which they expect to win?

Patterson is considered a sub par fielding 2B at this point because of footwork. His bat actually looks fine. The Cubs dont want him trying to correct mechanics on the job in the majors. IMO of course.

Roberts is a sure thing yes .. a complete player .. Better than any other option they have.

HUh???

Konerko = Wood + Kotchman

BRob = Wood

First, the first part of that is not at all true, and I don't know a single GM in MLB who would make that trade. Ok, ok; Brian Sabean would. :D

Secondly, the White Sox make out like absolute bandits. Again, the trade in question is:

And you said: The Orioles may be able to get another player but that would be basically it.

We get Wood, and they get Kotchman AND Roberts?

The answer is yes, although that's not the relevant comparison.

What I said was that the three Cubbies are better than anything else the O's have, absent Roberts, who most agree should be dealt in the rebuild as opposed to taking draft picks for in two years.

Again I'll cite PECOTA.

Murton .276 EqA > Huff .269 EqA

Cedeno .251 EqA > Hernandez .209 EqA

Patterson .261 EqA > Bynum .241 EqA

As you can see, it's not even particularly close.

I was wondering what the take back would be for defense in the above scenario???

Archived