You know what really grinds my gears?

Pedro Cerrano

That's true, he was the underdog back then and for all my hatred of him and the program, even a Tarheel like me cant deny his success. However, he accused Dean Smith and the Tarheel program of being that double standard that now he and his program completely benefit from. Hypocritical to say the least.

Yea, it is hypocritical, i don't doubt that.

However, like i said, you aren't going to complain about it if it happens to you.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, it is hypocritical, i don't doubt that.

However, like i said, you aren't going to complain about it if it happens to you.

I guess sustained success for years and years will get you that benefit, which would also be hypocritical of me a little as a Carolina guy to disagree with. It used to be us that everyone hated and complained about. So I do understand more than the Maryland fans do. I think the frustration from the Terps Fans end is that they did have some major success earlier in the decade and could not sustain it for whatever reason.

I guess sustained success for years and years will get you that benefit, which would also be hypocritical of me a little as a Carolina guy to disagree with. It used to be us that everyone hated and complained about. So I do understand more than the Maryland fans do. I think the frustration from the Terps Fans end is that they did have some major success earlier in the decade and could not sustain it for whatever reason.

Yea i agree....As i have said(and many have shot down), alot of it is jealousy. That is just the way it is when it boils down to it.

Michael Wilbon was talking about Duke on PTI yesterday. And he thinks alot of people dislike Duke because these are rich, priviledged kids who are also very good at basketball(i am paraphrasing here) and the reality is that is not how most basketball players, at high levels, are.

I am not sure if there is anything to this or not but it makes sense on some level(btw, i don't think MD or UNC fans dislike Duke for this reason).

Yea i agree....As i have said(and many have shot down), alot of it is jealousy. That is just the way it is when it boils down to it.

Michael Wilbon was talking about Duke on PTI yesterday. And he thinks alot of people dislike Duke because these are rich, priviledged kids who are also very good at basketball(i am paraphrasing here) and the reality is that is not how most basketball players, at high levels, are.

I am not sure if there is anything to this or not but it makes sense on some level(btw, i don't think MD or UNC fans dislike Duke for this reason).

Envy might be a better term than Jealousy..Maryland has a great Basketball program with a great coach who does things the right way , and really shouldn't be jealous. I believe that Maryland fans expected (rightly so) to be a force in the ACC year after year following the Two Final Fours and National Championship. When that didn't happen, they chose to hate the team that was the dominant team in the ACC at the time, which begrudgingly I'll say, was Duke. The Maryland-Duke "rivalry" didn't heat up until both teams were great in the early 2000's. That's when it became kind of nasty, especially from the Maryland fans. Ask any Maryland fan over 30 if they hate Duke more than any other ACC team and most will tell you they don't even though that's now who Maryland measures themselves by.

The Duke-Carolina thing is on a whole different level than anything we're talking about on this thread. It's the best rivalry in sports, and nothing even comes close. It's an 8 mile difference, it's Democrat vs Republican...etc. and it's only 11 days away!

Envy might be a better term than Jealousy..Maryland has a great Basketball program with a great coach who does things the right way , and really shouldn't be jealous. I believe that Maryland fans expected (rightly so) to be a force in the ACC year after year following the Two Final Fours and National Championship. When that didn't happen, they chose to hate the team that was the dominant team in the ACC at the time, which begrudgingly I'll say, was Duke. The Maryland-Duke "rivalry" didn't heat up until both teams were great in the early 2000's. That's when it became kind of nasty, especially from the Maryland fans. Ask any Maryland fan over 30 if they hate Duke more than any other ACC team and most will tell you they don't even though that's now who Maryland measures themselves by.

The Duke-Carolina thing is on a whole different level than anything we're talking about on this thread. It's the best rivalry in sports, and nothing even comes close. It's an 8 mile difference, it's Democrat vs Republican...etc. and it's only 11 days away!

That statement is incorrect. Even if it is the best rivalry in sports (which is definitely debatable), to say nothing else even comes close is silly.

That statement is incorrect. Even if it is the best rivalry in sports (which is definitely debatable), to say nothing else even comes close is silly.

Honestly, i didn't think so either until I lived there for four years. I can't explain to you what it's like there when Carolina plays Duke, it's unlike anything I've seen. The proximity of the schools and the combined success of the two programs is enough in itself. By the way, this is commonly reffered to as "The best rivalry in Sports", i certainly didn't make it up. There are many other great rivalries obviously, but Carolina-Dook is second to none.

I think Maryland fans hated Duke before the early 2000's. Has the hate risen, sure, I'll agree with that. And of course there's some envy involved, that's why most teams that are great for 3+ years end up being hated by many. Envy, people just being tired of them, and their bandwagon fans which are always annoying, especially when their gloating to you.

Then Duke obviously has the whole getting calls thing which adds to it, has an annoying coach, usually has at least one annoying player, has Dick Vitale and the media over-hyping them, and to top it off has annoying fans.

The Duke-UNC rivalry is tremendous, but you have to admit it was down there for awhile since Duke won pretty much all the time.

Honestly, i didn't think so either until I lived there for four years. I can't explain to you what it's like there when Carolina plays Duke, it's unlike anything I've seen. The proximity of the schools and the combined success of the two programs is enough in itself. By the way, this is commonly reffered to as "The best rivalry in Sports", i certainly didn't make it up. There are many other great rivalries obviously, but Carolina-Dook is second to none.

I personally think Yanks-Red Sox is the best rivalry in sports partially because baseball is my favorite sport and also because of the history (the 2004 ALCS will go down as one of the all time great moments in the sport itself).

However, even if you think UNC/Dook is the best rivalry, that statement is inconsistent with what you just said. There are many rivalries that can be debated as "the best" and I doubt you'd find many people that aren't fans of UNC or Dook that would say it's the best rivalry and "nothing else comes close."

Can't compete with the Carolina/Duke rivalry. Even when one team is really bad, they seem to play each other well. Wasn't the Carolina game the only ACC game Duke won in that 95 season when Coach K has his....ahem...."back troubles?" Sorry to bring that one up beaner, you know I love Carolina and root for them unless it hurts the Terps for me to do so.

Funny thing though...my father, who went to UNC in the early 80s and was there for their first National Championship, also grew up on the campus of Wake Forest. So he is pretty intimately familiar with ACC basketball, especially in the state of North Carolina. According to him, if you ask any Carolina fan over 30, they'd say that their biggest rival is State, not Duke. One of these days, I'm going to find a rivalry where both sides acknowledge that it is, in fact, a rivalry ;)

I think Maryland fans hated Duke before the early 2000's. Has the hate risen, sure, I'll agree with that. And of course there's some envy involved, that's why most teams that are great for 3+ years end up being hated by many. Envy, people just being tired of them, and their bandwagon fans which are always annoying, especially when their gloating to you.

Then Duke obviously has the whole getting calls thing which adds to it, has an annoying coach, usually has at least one annoying player, has Dick Vitale and the media over-hyping them, and to top it off has annoying fans.

The Duke-UNC rivalry is tremendous, but you have to admit it was down there for awhile since Duke won pretty much all the time.

This post is essentially 100% accurate IMO.

They disliked Duke the same as everybody else before say 1999, Maryland usually played tough in Cameron for whatever reason.

Yes, of course now Duke has become the team everyone loves to hate for the reasons you mentioned, all very good points.

It was down during the Doherty years, and it killed me to admit that. It's back to even now, or we may be ahead at this point.

Can't compete with the Carolina/Duke rivalry. Even when one team is really bad, they seem to play each other well. Wasn't the Carolina game the only ACC game Duke won in that 95 season when Coach K has his....ahem...."back troubles?" Sorry to bring that one up beaner, you know I love Carolina and root for them unless it hurts the Terps for me to do so.

Funny thing though...my father, who went to UNC in the early 80s and was there for their first National Championship, also grew up on the campus of Wake Forest. So he is pretty intimately familiar with ACC basketball, especially in the state of North Carolina. According to him, if you ask any Carolina fan over 30, they'd say that their biggest rival is State, not Duke. One of these days, I'm going to find a rivalry where both sides acknowledge that it is, in fact, a rivalry ;)

Ohio State vs. Michigan?

Ohio State vs. Michigan?

I don't personally know any OSU or Michigan fans, but I wouldn't doubt that this is one. Red Sox/Yankees is becoming more of one...Yankee fans I know seem to "hate" the Red Sox a lot more since 2004. Maybe Dodgers/Giants...I dunno if that really has any steam anymore.

Ohio State vs. Michigan?

Again, I cant stress enough what it's like to be there for one of these games. The Red Sox/Yankees rivalry is awesome, as is OSU/Michigan, but again the 8 mile difference is something that neither rivalry has. You mentioned history, which you were right about, but Carolina-Duke has years and years of history as well. Universally this is considered the best rivalry in sports, it's not just fans of those teams.

Archived