Why is length of games so important?

hutchead

o

I have a vague recollection from several decades ago when I was watching This Week in Baseball that a pitcher has 20 seconds in between pitches to throw a pitch when there are no runners on base. I think that Mel Allen brought it up because it was enforced by the umpire during that week via a ball being charged to the batter's count ...... which is the only time that I can remember that rule ever being enforced in all of my time (1971-present) of watching baseball.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

I have a vague recollection from several decades ago when I was watching This Week in Baseball that a pitcher has 20 seconds in between pitches to throw a pitch when there are no runners on base. I think that Mel Allen brought it up because it was enforced by the umpire during that week via a ball being charged to the batter's count ...... which is the only time that I can remember that rule ever being enforced in all of my time (1971-present) of watching baseball.

Not exactly the same thing, but Papelbon has apparently been punished multiple times for taking too long to pitch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4445223

o

Not exactly the same thing, but Papelbon has apparently been punished multiple times for taking too long to pitch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4445223

Whoa.

In the article, it states that Papelbon WAS charged with a ball for taking too long in between pitches:

"Papelbon also had a ball called on him Tuesday night for taking too long between pitches."

Well, that's the second time in all of my time of watching baseball (1971-present) that I have heard about that happening. Obviously, just because I may not have heard about it doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't happened. ;)

Right, yet baseball gets the boring label and football does not.

Don't underestimate the power of gambling and alcohol. The nature and schedule of football lends itself to both. If you drank 12 beers and put $400 on every O's game you'd quickly find yourself broke and in a queue for a liver transplant. You might survive that once a week.

Don't underestimate the power of gambling and alcohol. The nature and schedule of football lends itself to both. If you drank 12 beers and put $400 on every O's game you'd quickly find yourself broke and in a queue for a liver transplant. You might survive that once a week.

Nah, I think it's more about the violence. 22 guys trying to kill each other on each play as compared to 9 guys standing around waiting for the ball to maybe be put in play.

We as a species used to enjoy actually watching other members of our species kill each other for sport.......I don't think some of us have really changed that much since then.

Right, yet baseball gets the boring label and football does not.

To be fair, this is a ridiculous comparison. Soccer has a TON of "actual play time" but can often be boring because of what is actually happening. I would argue that most people find a play in football to be far more exciting than a pitch in baseball.

In other words, there's a reason the nfl kills mlb in TV ratings.

Nah, I think it's more about the violence. 22 guys trying to kill each other on each play as compared to 9 guys standing around waiting for the ball to maybe be put in play.

We as a species used to enjoy actually watching other members of our species kill each other for sport.......I don't think some of us have really changed that much since then.

Violence, gambling, alcohol... if the NFL could find a way to incorporate prostitution they'd be completely unstoppable for all time.

In other words, there's a reason the nfl kills mlb in TV ratings.

Part of it is sheer quantity. There's about as much Oriole baseball in two weeks as there is Ravens football all year. If baseball got 40 shares for every game that would be insane. I love the Orioles and I don't come close to watching all of every game. Almost no one does. I'd bet most die hard football fans see almost every minute of every game. Hell, when I was a die hard Virginia Tech football fan I literally saw every minute of every game from mid-1998 through early 2001 in person.

Violence, gambling, alcohol... if the NFL could find a way to incorporate prostitution they'd be completely unstoppable for all time.
Well, they do have cheerleaders.

And they're suing for being underpaid. They might be looking to pick up some extra cash....

Correct, because its entertaining to them and they are engaged in it and participating.

Kids now a days are different than how I was raised and you was raised.

Sit back and watch them watch a baseball game and with the power of the remote control in their hands, they flip away, and not just doing commericals.

Well it is good for them to be bored as it works their minds.

Archived