Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en-gb"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SFGiants?src=hash">#SFGiants</a> are currently in discussions with free agent outfielder Nick Markakis, source confirms earlier report by <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS">@JonHeymanCBS</a>.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="
">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Come on Giants or Braves don't mess this up.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on Giants or Braves don't mess this up.

If I were Martian, and landed on earth last Wednesday, reading this thread would have taught me all about Earth, Human Emotion, Human Frailty, Baltimore, Maryland, Greece, Baseball, and the origins of life itself. Oh, and Nick Markakis.

If I were Martian, and landed on earth last Wednesday, reading this thread would have taught me all about Earth, Human Emotion, Human Frailty, Baltimore, Maryland, Greece, Baseball, and the origins of life itself. Oh, and Nick Markakis.

tumblr_inline_muxbwqIuXX1rmhatq.gif

Maybe we're thinking of different chats, but I recall a nonsensical answer from someone that was suspected to be an intern of Bill James. I don't remember anything about visiting players having no ill effects.

The actual conversation and data was shared between James and Tom Tango (I believe). Do they have interns disguising themselves as James and Tango, I have no idea.

There were a lot of points made. I don't recall anything nonsensical. Was there a clear answer as to why Nick/Adam split worse at OPACY? No. They provided data showing no adverse splits for visiting right fielders in OPACY. I remember that clearly.

Here is the link. It actually refers to other RF/CF's in OPACY prior to Jones/Nick having no real difference but there was a question at the bottom by Tango at the bottom that I believe was aanswered somewhere else.

http://www.billjamesonline.com/playing_the_oufield_in_camden_yards/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The negotiations between the Braves and outfielder Nick Markakis have intensified. Hearing the deal could wind up in range of 4/$45m.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

No, I don't remember it that way. El Gordo proposed the question to Bill James and one of the inputs back from James was that visiting fielders showed no adverse effects from OPACY. Data on how individual visiting fielders performed at OPACY was never published. James had the data internally and disclosed it.

My recollection is that it was John Dewan who responded to El Gordo, and while I don't recall the entire explanation, I did not find it convincing and there was discussion of it in some thread. I think Dewan also wrote something about it in the subsequent version of the Fielding Bible.

FWIW, Total Zone Fielding Runs Above Average (Rtz) is now broken down into home (Rtzhm)and away (Rtzrd) on BB-ref. On that stat, Nick ranks +7 at home and -3 on the road in his career.

My recollection is that it was John Dewan who responded to El Gordo, and while I don't recall the entire explanation, I did not find it convincing and there was discussion of it in some thread. I think Dewan also wrote something about it in the subsequent version of the Fielding Bible.

FWIW, Total Zone Fielding Runs Above Average (Rtz) is now broken down into home (Rtzhm)and away (Rtzrd) on BB-ref. On that stat, Nick ranks +7 at home and -3 on the road in his career.

Vindicated!!!!:)

Right Dewan and Tango. The info was raised/posted on the Bill James website.

TZ has always had home/away splits but it is relatively worthless imo. Even if you went by it 10 runs difference over that many years is basically nothing.

http://www.billjamesonline.com/playing_the_oufield_in_camden_yards/

Archived