Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was funny. However I do have the distinct impression that Markakis is done with the Orioles. If not the Braves I could easily see him in pinstripes. The Yankees love to swoop in when no one else expects it.

If Nick does sign elsewhere I'm wondering what we'll do to replace his defense? We've lost Cruz, Miller and possibly Markakis and we've got the Winter Meetings coming up. Something has got to happen, the O's have a lot of holes again and the chances of us getting another miracle season out of a one-year contract guy is slim to none.

MSK

That was funny. However I do have the distinct impression that Markakis is done with the Orioles. If not the Braves I could easily see him in pinstripes. The Yankees love to swoop in when no one else expects it.

If Nick does sign elsewhere I'm wondering what we'll do to replace his defense? We've lost Cruz, Miller and possibly Markakis and we've got the Winter Meetings coming up. Something has got to happen, the O's have a lot of holes again and the chances of us getting another miracle season out of a one-year contract guy is slim to none.

MSK

Quintin? That might work.

MSK

The chances last year were just none. So we are gaining ground.

It makes zero sense for the Braves to be interested in Markakis. I understand it from his point of view but they are clearly punting on the next couple seasons. You don't need an overpaid rightfielder when your best case scenario is 85 wins.

Well, I was reading somewhere the other day that the Braves were talking to another team about possibly trading both Gattis and Justin Upton for a starting pitcher. Sorry, can't recall what team or who the pitcher was right now, but I believe it was a fairly big name pitcher. If there is any truth to that, they would need to find an outfielder somewhere. Perhaps signing Markakis would be immediately followed by them pulling the trigger on a big trade. I think in that light, it might make a lot of sense.

Atlanta signing Markakis doesn't make a lot of sense to me but who am I to question why? Perhaps we'll be surprised by the terms.

As long it's not the O's idc who signs him.

Well, I was reading somewhere the other day that the Braves were talking to another team about possibly trading both Gattis and Justin Upton for a starting pitcher. Sorry, can't recall what team or who the pitcher was right now, but I believe it was a fairly big name pitcher. If there is any truth to that, they would need to find an outfielder somewhere. Perhaps signing Markakis would be immediately followed by them pulling the trigger on a big trade. I think in that light, it might make a lot of sense.

Got it. It was Samardzija with the A's.

https://twitter.com/JHickey3/status/538566844760596483

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Coming home: Torii Hunter and <a href="https://twitter.com/Twins">@Twins</a> reportedly agree to 1-year, $10.5 million deal. Club has not confirmed.</p>— MLB (@MLB) <a href="
">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Makes perfect sense for him to finish out his career in Minnesota.

So he's off the table (not really sorry about that) but who's really available who can replace Cruz and Markakis' contributions?

I do trust DD but I don't feel like there's another "lightning in a bottle" guy out there who can come cheap and put up some serious numbers.

And we still need pitching.

MSK

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Blue Jays have had trade discussions with Astros on Dexter Fowler. He is a switch-hitter; Jays would like to get more left-handed.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Isn't there anyone who believes that Lough/Pearce easily replaces Nick in RF. We need a middle of the order bat. However, even without one, a maturing Manny Machado and a rebounding Chris Davis might be enough. However, it would be nice to have one more bat. I hear Kendrys Morales could come real cheap this year. Last year, it was 50/50 on who was better, Morales or Cruz.

I don't believe in platoons. It's a different game.

Isn't there anyone who believes that Lough/Pearce easily replaces Nick in RF. We need a middle of the order bat. However, even without one, a maturing Manny Machado and a rebounding Chris Davis might be enough. However, it would be nice to have one more bat. I hear Kendrys Morales could come real cheap this year. Last year, it was 50/50 on who was better, Morales or Cruz.

I thought Morales would be better. I forgot to listen to my own treatise on how Free Agents do not lift a finger in the off season before they are signed.

We better do better than Morales....

I think Lough is garbage as a full time player. Love Pearce but no way he stays healthy. If that is your plan, no dice. Alvarez maybe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived