Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, the other night it seemed like things were close and maybe it was just ironing out details. Now, we get a report that maybe they aren't so close. The plot thickens

Dan has proven the last two years that he can suggest the O's have an interest in retaining a player, and then turn around and cut ties. I'd say the odds he signs Markakis are no better than 50/50.

Melewski's take:

On the plus side, he provides the Orioles with durability, leadership, defense, on-base skills, the ability to hit both left- and right-handers, and is part of a clubhouse culture that puts a premium on playing hard every day and bringing your best every night. It is a team mentality that serves the Orioles well.

On the downside, he is not nearly as productive as he once was. From 2007-11, Markakis averaged 42 doubles, 18 homers and 86 RBIs per year. But the last three seasons, he has averaged 26 doubles, 12 homers and 54 RBIs.

Those against signing Markakis to a new long-term deal will likely point to those stats and say he is not worth the dollars they are talking about.

Another factor here is the emotional attachment O's fans have for a lifelong Oriole that was drafted in the first round in 2003 and made the majors in 2006. Many fans see more here than just what is on a stat sheet and appreciate the defense, leadership and reliability. That means something to a fanbase that seemed excited for Markakis to finally get to play in the postseason last month.

Markakis seems to be a player you have to see every day to truly appreciate. The reporters that cover the team can take it a step further. When you hear Buck Showalter and other players talk about Markakis, it is clear how much he is valued and respected by his teammates.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/11/a-look-at-the-orioles-pursuit-of-a-new-deal-with-nick-markakis.html

Buck:

"Nicky's a big part of our culture, what we're trying to do here and I know we're working hard to get him back."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/11/hunter-on-mlb-team-touring-japan-showalter-on-mlb-network.html

Right, because major league general managers don't have access to information like you and I do, and spend millions of dollars based on their offhand impressions of the players they sign.

OK, sarcasm turned off now: I'm sure every major league GM can make an assessment of Nick's defense that is more sophisticated than anything you or I can do by looking at publicly available statistics. And it wouldn't surprise me if some of those assessments ranked Nick higher than, say, UZR does. But they will be well aware of Nick's limitations.

Golden Gloves are awarde based on a combination of saber metric fielding stats and votes by major league managers and coaches. I think Nick is rated much higher by real life experts over what people on this board rate him based on one questionable stat ranking.

Dan has proven the last two years that he can suggest the O's have an interest in retaining a player, and then turn around and cut ties. I'd say the odds he signs Markakis are no better than 50/50.

However there were no reports of negotiations with those players like there has been with Markakis.

Archived