2014 #7 Prospect: Christian Walker - 1B

Tony-OH

If his bat speed is adequate, upside seems like Billy Butler (probably a little better defensively, not quite as good bat).

Billy Butler might be the 750th worst player in baseball defensively. If Walker is a little bit better defensively, then I want him nowhere near a glove.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Ef4OztGKjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was there that night and it was a great crowd. Spent all day on airplanes (with wife and two young kids) to get there, but everyone had so much fun.

When this count up started, I assumed CW would be much lower. I don't know nearly as much as you guys do, so I'm not surprised I was wrong, but I am excited to see guys in front of Walker. Let's keep pushing talent like that with more competition -- starting with this next draft.

Walker's ceiling is a second division starter, a 1-2 WAR player like James Loney.

His median outcome is floating around the league for a bit as a 0-1 WAR player like Mitch Moreland, Casey Kotchman, or Yonder Alonso.

Or he could just never make it like Dan Johnson. I think that's what it's going to be if he's an average at best fielder like the scouts suggest. Dan Johnson is a mediocre fielder. Alonso, Moreland, Kotchman, and Loney are all plus fielders. On average, they hit just as well as Walker in the minor leagues too.

The rest of major league 1B had much, much better minor league offensive numbers than Walker. Except for maybe Garrett Jones who didn't get a full time gig till he was 28 and isn't much good anyway.

I agree with this slot for Walker, though I think Mike Wright will have the better career.

I will say here and now that Christian Walker will outperform the so-called experts' opinions and will become a beast offensively and more than adequate defensively.

I'm pretty sure you have said this in every thread about prospect so far. I think your voice has been heard! lol

Walker's ceiling is a second division starter, a 1-2 WAR player like James Loney.

His median outcome is floating around the league for a bit as a 0-1 WAR player like Mitch Moreland, Casey Kotchman, or Yonder Alonso.

Or he could just never make it like Dan Johnson. I think that's what it's going to be if he's an average at best fielder like the scouts suggest. Dan Johnson is a mediocre fielder. Alonso, Moreland, Kotchman, and Loney are all plus fielders. On average, they hit just as well as Walker in the minor leagues too.

The rest of major league 1B had much, much better minor league offensive numbers than Walker. Except for maybe Garrett Jones who didn't get a full time gig till he was 28 and isn't much good anyway.

I agree with this slot for Walker, though I think Mike Wright will have the better career.

Good analysis. As for Wright, he's missing a put away pitch. His change has improved a lot but it's hard to see him starting without a put away pitch.

I'll say this for Walker: he has exceeded expectations so far, so you can't rule out the possibility that he'll continue to do so.

Yep, that's partially why he was this high on the list. He's a guy who wants it pretty bad and has a good overall hit tool so we'll see if that can overcome the scouts' concerns.

Archived