What does Nick's departure say to the other players who we may want to retain?

Frobby

I don't see how this process is dramatically different than it has been since the modern era of free agency began. Namely, players and their agents try to make the absolute most money no matter where that offer comes from and teams also try to make the most money by signing players that they believe fits in with their business plan. The Orioles will now have a number of free agents at the end of 2015, although they may try to extend some or trade some (particularly if they are not doing well in the standings by trade deadline). But this is just the nature of professional baseball since free agency was introduced. Nick took the most money. No surprise. But don't believe any of this hogwash about Nick "really wanted to stay". If he had wanted to stay, then he could have decided that it was worth a discount to stay with one organization and one city. But that was not the case and thus the value of staying in a single city, single organization for his career was not worth it to him.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see how this process is dramatically different than it has been since the modern era of free agency began. Namely, players and their agents try to make the absolute most money no matter where that offer comes from and teams also try to make the most money by signing players that they believe fits in with their business plan. The Orioles will now have a number of free agents at the end of 2015, although they may try to extend some or trade some (particularly if they are not doing well in the standings by trade deadline). But this is just the nature of professional baseball since free agency was introduced. Nick took the most money. No surprise. But don't believe any of this hogwash about Nick "really wanted to stay". If he had wanted to stay, then he could have decided that it was worth a discount to stay with one organization and one city. But that was not the case and thus the value of staying in a single city, single organization for his career was not worth it to him.

Good post... :agree:

The next few seasons will shed some light on what Nick is/was worth.

What it tells me is that Duquette is smart and won't give those players a lot of money based on what they've done, but instead will give contracts based on what they will do. And if that causes them to leave, so be it... Duquette won't overpay for them just because they were good in the past.

I would really like to see them negotiate a contract extension to Wieters and Chen soon. This will be the best time to get Wieters to sign while value is low. If he comes back as good as last year' date=' we'll never afford him.[/quote']

If they tried to call Boras about an extension, they'd just get a "Lets talk in a year" response back. He isn't interested in signing players before they reach free agency to maximize their value.

If they tried to call Boras about an extension, they'd just get a "Lets talk in a year" response back. He isn't interested in signing players before they reach free agency to maximize their value.

Which is why you convince the player to call Boras and have him tell his agent, "I want to get a multi-year deal done with the O's, make it happen."

What it tells me is that Duquette is smart and won't give those players a lot of money based on what they've done, but instead will give contracts based on what they will do. And if that causes them to leave, so be it... Duquette won't overpay for them just because they were good in the past.

That tells the Kevin Millars and Ty Wiggingtons of the world not to apply.

Because that is really the only way that will ever be done again.

A star player puts his foot down and Boras will listen. He doesn't want to tarnish his rep by losing another star and of course he wants the commission.

Now someone like Chen Boras might just ignore. Boras doesn't always take care of his tier 2 and 3 guys.

A star player puts his foot down and Boras will listen. He doesn't want to tarnish his rep by losing another star and of course he wants the commission.

Now someone like Chen Boras might just ignore. Boras doesn't always take care of his tier 2 and 3 guys.

Ok. Let's see a STAR feel that way. Because they don't. They hire Scott for a very specific purpose.

From what I understand, the Orioles have tried the past two offseasons to extend Wieters, and he (or Boras) have refused to even negotiate. So yes, a player COULD in theory put his foot down, but Matt doesn't seem to be that player.

Archived