J Upton...(Traded to SD)

srh523

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with pretty much everything you say. I guess where you and I disagree is on the actual value of Harvey. The Cardinals had to give up Shelby, a guy who has a major league track record, for Heyward. Sometimes you have to gamble...

But Miller is about to start entering into his arbitration years, so while he isn't going to get $$$$$, he still is about to stop being cheap. Last year he had no value really, he was a replacement level player, getting paid replacement level cost. This year he isn't projected to be THAT much better. Yeah, there was some value on his contract, but not a ton. Meanwhile, Heyward is a 5 to 6 WAR player, getting paid to be just over a 1 WAR player. Plus he gets the QO. I don't think the value comparison is as skewed in that trade as it would be in this one.

If you can get him on the cheap' date=' maybe he is just a one year filler till Alvarez is ready. Give up a B prospect, turn RF over to Daniel next season and take another first round pick with a QO.[/quote']

LOL Upton not coming cheap.

Why in the world, would Atlanta trade him for a B prospect? Ain't going to happen. Whatever has been said of Shelby Miller, he was an A+ prospect and still has the arm and talent. You can't sniff Upton with a B prospect.

If he truly is a clubhouse cancer and since he is only a one year rental, it depends on the market.

Hot Stove saying Upton to Orioles will be top winter meetings trade.

Can someone help me understand .....why would the Braves basically trade Upton for Markakis in their OF?

I understand they will get a player or two tearing him ...but getting Nick and his .280 ish 10 hr and trading away .270ish with 25 Hr????

But Miller is about to start entering into his arbitration years' date=' so while he isn't going to get $$$$$, he still is about to stop being cheap. Last year he had no value really, he was a replacement level player, getting paid replacement level cost. This year he isn't projected to be THAT much better. Yeah, there was some value on his contract, but not a ton. Meanwhile, Heyward is a 5 to 6 WAR player, getting paid to be just over a 1 WAR player. Plus he gets the QO. I don't think the value comparison is as skewed in that trade as it would be in this one.[/quote']

I'm not arguing any of your points here, I agree. I get the value aspects of the ATL/STL deal but, they were dealing in known commodities. Atlanta had no intention of retaining Heyward long term and had a need for young cheap(er) pitching. StL needed outfield help after Tavares' untimely passing. It was a deal that both teams kind of needed.

Harvey may stay healthy and turn out to be great, and he may end up going under the knife later this spring. And if it's the injury route, who knows what happens. Harvey may never be a contributor at this level, regardless of health. Justin Upton is a difference maker in a lineup and would fill Nelson's Cruz's spot in the lineup nicely. Like I said, sometimes you have to gamble...

Give me an outfield of Upton, Jones, Lough (against RH). Maybe spending a year here in Baltimore would give us the inside track to resign Upton in FA?

Harvey may stay healthy and turn out to be great, and he may end up going under the knife later this spring. And if it's the injury route, who knows what happens. Harvey may never be a contributor at this level, regardless of health. Justin Upton is a difference maker in a lineup and would fill Nelson's Cruz's spot in the lineup nicely. Like I said, sometimes you have to gamble...

I guess my question would be, factoring in where Harvey is in terms of prospect rankings, factoring in the uncertainty of a prospect, how much monetary value do you put on Harvey? Like, how much do you have us sending Atlanta's way?

I guess my question would be' date=' factoring in where Harvey is in terms of prospect rankings, factoring in the uncertainty of a prospect, how much monetary value do you put on Harvey? Like, how much do you have us sending Atlanta's way?[/quote']

I'm not going to speculate on Harvey's potential monetary value. But in terms of what I'm sending to Atlanta for Upton, it would be Harvey and not much else. This would definitely be a tough move to pull the trigger on having traded away EdRod, it would really thin out the MiL depth at P.

I think you'd have to give up a top prospect for Upton. Probably Bundy. But I'd seriously consider doing that. Upton is the kind of bat that is worth taking a risk.

You'd give up Bundy for one year of Upton? I wouldn't. This is not like trading Erod for Miller in the midst of a pennant run.

Archived