Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

Why does he have to say he isn't leaving? If he wants to leave, he can leave. He's not an Orioles fan, he's a front office executive who would be just as happy working for any other team, especially if they are going to pay him more money and give him more control. I don't hold that against him.

BTW, Rosenthal is reporting that the Jays president is sticking around for another year so this is probably all moot anyway.

It's not moot. Theres still talk come January he will step down but most likely they will ride it out for this season. If there are some discussions going on the Orioles should be aware of it. I am not sure they can really do much to stop that but I don't think this is anything to really just ignore / forget about.

We know what the Orioles do best at the Winter Meetings.. Its usually just a vacation for them. Maybe we sign some AAAA fodder and move players like Matusz but nothing BIG. We already moved past Kemp and Upton.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at the Samardija deal. Apparently, we shouldn't expect much for Chen & Norris, which is probably why Duquette is talking up keeping the depth. Earlier in the winter, he was talking about dealing from that depth.

Yeah...I don't see them moving or acquiring anyone of significance this offseason.

We are definitely stuck with the Ubaldo contract, I would think. I'd like to think he could turn it around, though.

I do not think that is the case. I read that Kenny wanted to be the first African American CEO of a baseball team. It would be a promotion for him as well. He may be President of Baseball ops. Which is truly GM.

Williams was named GM in February 2000. In October 2012 he was promoted to EVP of the White Sox and Assistant GM Rick Hahn was promoted to General Manager.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No secret that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> would be willing to listen to offers on Matusz. O's believe he could have added value if teams see him as a starter.</p>? Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who would see him as a starter? I'm sorry, this strikes me as deliriously hopeful. If we get potential starter value out of him in a trade, I will glad eat crow.

Who would see him as a starter? I'm sorry, this strikes me as deliriously hopeful. If we get potential starter value out of him in a trade, I will glad eat crow.

I doubt they are looking for starter value for Matusz. I read that more as they are thinking/hoping that since Matusz has had some success as a starter and has the pedigree of being a former 1st rounder, that some teams might see him as a potential emergency starter or swingman. A good 28 year old LOOGY who has been a starter in the past, is a former 1st round pick, and has had some success as a starter is theoretically more valuable than say a 35 year old lefty who is clearly just a LOOGY. I imagine the O's are hoping for "more than normal LOOGY" type value rather than "starter value".

We know what the Orioles do best at the Winter Meetings.. Its usually just a vacation for them. Maybe we sign some AAAA fodder and move players like Matusz but nothing BIG. We already moved past Kemp and Upton.

You say this like it's a criticism, but their methods have led to the Orioles having a very good team. I'd like to see some action just to relieve my winter boredom, but I certainly am way past the point of having a panic attack if the Orioles have a quiet Winter Meeting.

As to Dan Duquette, I don't think he is going anywhere before the 2015 season is over. After that, we'll see what happens.

It's hopeful, but probably not deliriously so. Matusz's incarnation as a bullpen pitcher didn't begin until 2012. In his last full season as a starter, 2010, he posted a 4.38 ERA, went 10-12 and had a K/9 of 7.33, WHIP of 1.34. War of 2.6. With a salary of $2.4MM, it's at least possible that a team might consider him a diamond-in-the-rough #5 starter. Or something. I agree that it's unlikely, but it's not crazy. And I bet no one would be happier if that occurred than Brian...

I guess someone would have to not have the ability to notice that he can't get right handed hitters out to imagine he would be a starter.

The O's have a lot of arbitration eligible players. Merely retaining their services will cause an increase in payroll.

Dan said he had the available resources to keep Markakis and Cruz in an interview. He allegedly should have the resources to expand the payroll.

You say this like it's a criticism, but their methods have led to the Orioles having a very good team. I'd like to see some action just to relieve my winter boredom, but I certainly am way past the point of having a panic attack if the Orioles have a quiet Winter Meeting.

As to Dan Duquette, I don't think he is going anywhere before the 2015 season is over. After that, we'll see what happens.

According to Angelos he expects Dan to honor his contract! So really the rest of this conversation is not worth discussing right?

According to Angelos he expects Dan to honor his contract! So really the rest of this conversation is not worth discussing right?

There's no reason to believe Dan won't honor his contract now that there isn't a job opening in Toronto.

BTW, I am OK with losing Dan if he wants to leave, I'm just relieved we have some time to prepare for it. I was more upset about the timing and potentially losing our GM right during the Winter Meetings.

Archived