Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not pretend like Pearce isn't a bench player coming off a good year.

Coming off a year where he led the AL in WAR among 1B. Steamer still projects him at 3 WAR in 2015 even counting on a big decline, and our 3rd best position player after Manny and Adam Jones.

Coming off a year where he led the AL in WAR among 1B. Steamer still projects him at 3 WAR in 2015 even counting on a big decline, and our 3rd best position player after Manny and Adam Jones.

I'd be thrilled with a 3 WAR season from Pearce. I think his 2014 season skewed his averages. I mean it's 91% of his career value.

I don't care what projections say. I see a player who had an outlier year. I'm not a scout nor a fortune teller so I can't say whether he turned a corner in his career or not but I won't be banking on a repeat performance either. That being said, I hope he is on the team next year. If he is still playing well then he has great value in being a backup plan for 1B, corner OF, and DH in the inevitable event of injury or ineffectiveness.

I don't care what projections say. I see a player who had an outlier year. I'm not a scout nor a fortune teller so I can't say whether he turned a corner in his career or not but I won't be banking on a repeat performance either. That being said, I hope he is on the team next year. If he is still playing well then he has great value in being a backup plan for 1B, corner OF, and DH in the inevitable event of injury or ineffectiveness.

My thoughts on this exactly. I love Pearce and I think he has a role on this team. I just don't think we should be anticipating him playing every day.

Most of the advanced stats he accumulated tell us that it wasn't something that came out of no where, though. Thats why his projections are higher than most players who come out of no where... he's always had good advanced stats but has never been given much of an opportunity. When he finally did get a chance he took advantage of it.

Most of the advanced stats he accumulated tell us that it wasn't something that came out of no where, though. Thats why his projections are higher than most players who come out of no where... he's always had good advanced stats but has never been given much of an opportunity. When he finally did get a chance he took advantage of it.

Plus, people always talk about how we need OBP guys... yet even in 2013, Pearce had a .362 OBP. Even if he declines a lot he may lead the team in OBP.

I'd take San Fran any day over San Diego, but that's just me.
Name 1 MLB team that hit gold with a rule 5 player in the last 5 years. Teams are a lot smarter now.

Not in the last 5 years but Everth Cabrera, Darren O'Day and Miguel Gonzalez were all taken in the 2008 Rule 5 Draft. I'm also a Flaherty fan. Obviously not a great player but a good glove to have on the bench.

Not in the last 5 years but Everth Cabrera, Darren O'Day and Miguel Gonzalez were all taken in the 2008 Rule 5 Draft. I'm also a Flaherty fan. Obviously not a great player but a good glove to have on the bench.

Sorry IMO the Orioles should be above the rule 5 draft now.

Archived