Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry IMO the Orioles should be above the rule 5 draft now.

It's things like this that make me question why you think the way you do. It hurts nothing to have an extra good player in spring training to compete for a job. Nothing. It is not a reason to not sign a good player. It's an attempt to get one when they are cost controllable, not when they produce less than they cost. I assume you think signing minor league free agents is useless rosterbation as well. The Giants selected Steve Johnson from us. He just was not good enough to stay.

It's things like this that make me question why you think the way you do. It hurts nothing to have an extra good player in spring training to compete for a job. Nothing. It is not a reason to not sign a good player. It's an attempt to get one when they are cost controllable, not when they produce less than they cost. I assume you think signing minor league free agents is useless rosterbation as well. The Giants selected Steve Johnson from us. He just was not good enough to stay.

And any "fear" that the team would keep the Rule 5 player no matter what was done away with last year when Almanzar was immediately returned after his DL stint.

Birdland wants the team to improve, but it is the SG methodology of "if it isn't my way it is still wrong."

My thoughts on this exactly. I love Pearce and I think he has a role on this team. I just don't think we should be anticipating him playing every day.

My hope is someone offers something of value for Pearce. 32 in April, coming off a career year, & chronic bad wrists, I sincerely hope the O's don't plan on a significant year from him.

Archived