Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Wallace was allowed to leave the Braves because Frank Wren's Front Office was imploding. There were more people than Wallace leaving. From what I have read the Braves had become a contention place to work. That is why Wren was let go in favor of John Hart.

Wren was a horrible GM. Awful.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't blame Toronto for wanting to talk with Dan or vice-versa. If they'd approached us in October when our playoff run was over, I would have thought it would be common courtesy to at least let Dan talk to them, on the understanding that we weren't yet saying we'd release him and we'd certainly want compensation.

But the timing of this is ridiculous. This is a terrible time of year to operate without a GM, or with a distracted GM, for that matter. We have tons to do in the next 60 days. If PA tells Toronto to take a hike, it's fine with me.

I don't blame Toronto for wanting to talk with Dan or vice-versa. If they'd approached us in October when our playoff run was over, I would have thought it would be common courtesy to at least let Dan talk to them, on the understanding that we weren't yet saying we'd release him and we'd certainly want compensation.

But the timing of this is ridiculous. This is a terrible time of year to operate without a GM, or with a distracted GM, for that matter. We have tons to do in the next 60 days. If PA tells Toronto to take a hike, it's fine with me.

Exactly; the timing of this is absolutely atrocious. What a low blow by the Jays. By the way, I say if DD wants to leave, let him go. To hell with it. It really hurts that he didn't dismiss those rumors when he easily could have. It's pretty clear to me that he's unhappy in B-more now, and therefore probably won't do his absolute best to make our team great. I'm thinking about changing my avatar soon.

I agree and the Orioles shouldn't be put in a negative light if they do decide to go that route.

Exactly; the timing of this is absolutely atrocious. What a low blow by the Jays. By the way, I say if DD wants to leave, let him go. To hell with it. It really hurts that he didn't dismiss those rumors when he easily could have. It's pretty clear to me that he's unhappy in B-more now, and therefore probably won't do his absolute best to make our team great. I'm thinking about changing my avatar soon.

He did dismiss the rumor that he wants to go to Toronto. On live TV he clearly stated he wants to play his contract with the Os out.

Now if that's how he really feels whi knows. Maybe it was just a PR move in hopes it wouldn't make the Os fan base go crazy about it like some are.

Yeah. You and I just disagree here. It's not that he wants to go. Its that it is a big raise. He can get that when his gig is done with us. This is simply a new work around to poach top GM's. It's been going on for a while now. Peter is not playing that. MLB wants to force it? Like they they want to invoke a new TV right's agreement? They can litigate. And lose their Anti Trust exemption in the process.

I guess I'm just not interested in legally forcing someone to work for the Orioles. If he's interested in leaving, let him go. I'm sure he will do a great job until then but I'd rather not have the GM resent the team and the owner.

If I were Peter I would not allow the Blue Jays to talk to Dan. What I would do is talk to Dan about what is appealing about the Blue Jays President position to him. Does he like to run the baseball operations because the President does not do that on the daily basis. AA does. Does Dan want to be in charge of the finance, human resources and marketing departments? Is it a money issue? A title issue?

I think if all that was understood Peter could probably structure an organization the makes Dan happy and keeps him doing what he likes and is valuable to the O's. In other words, why does Dan have to leave the O's to reach his career goals?

If I were Peter I would not allow the Blue Jays to talk to Dan. What I would do is talk to Dan about what is appealing about the Blue Jays President position to him. Does he like to run the baseball operations because the President does not do that on the daily basis. AA does. Does Dan want to be in charge of the finance, human resources and marketing departments? Is it a money issue? A title issue?

Dan expressed interest in this exact same position with the Red Sox back when he worked in Boston. I think he knows what the job entails.

It's pretty clear to me that he's unhappy in B-more now, and therefore probably won't do his absolute best to make our team great.
He did dismiss the rumor that he wants to go to Toronto. On live TV he clearly stated he wants to play his contract with the Os out.

I don't think it is at all "clear" that DD is unhappy in Baltimore. When someone approaches you about a job with more responsibility and much higher pay, even if you like your current job, you generally want to listen and consider the opportunity. That's what this is, at this point.

On the other hand, I did not think what DD said last weekend, which I heard live on the radio, amounted to "dismissing the rumor." He was not nearly as definitive as I would have expected if someone truly didn't want to listen to a job opportunity. Statement like "my focus here is solely on the Orioles" and "I always honor my contracts" fall short of "I'm complimented that they would consider me, but I have no interest in that position," or something similar.

Wallace was allowed to leave the Braves because Frank Wren's Front Office was imploding. There were more people than Wallace leaving. From what I have read the Braves had become a contentious place to work. That is why Wren was let go in favor of John Hart.

Most of what you say is true based on the public information about the Braves' front office. However, your reasoning for the Braves allowing Wallace to pursue the O's pitching coach gig is speculation. It is a fact that the industry routinely allows executives and coaches to pursue promotional opportunities with other franchises. It happens all the time. Otherwise you would never see teams hiring from other clubs. I do agree with Frobby that the timing is bad and should be a factor in the process. The whole affair is odd from Toronto's end as well as they are in the course of assembling the 2015 roster.

Although I don't know the details of DD's employment contract, I agree with those relying on the law of contracts as a basis for refusing to allow DD to pursue the CEO position with another franchise, however, this position doesn't necessarily jive with accepted industry practice. Baseball is a relationships type of business and rigid outside the norm positions ultimately cut both ways.

I like Duke but I'm not giving him a stake in the company after 3 good years just to keep him from going to Toronto.

Yeah, that may be a bit much... That's one of the reasons I'm not negotiating for Peter Angelos. Still... maybe just about anything short of that.

I seriously doubt that PA would restructure his business to keep Dan. But I think he'd be nuts to NOT do that. You have to go with talent first, in my view.

I don't think it is at all "clear" that DD is unhappy in Baltimore. When someone approaches you about a job with more responsibility and much higher pay, even if you like your current job, you generally want to listen and consider the opportunity. That's what this is, at this point.

On the other hand, I did not think what DD said last weekend, which I heard live on the radio, amounted to "dismissing the rumor." He was not nearly as definitive as I would have expected if someone truly didn't want to listen to a job opportunity. Statement like "my focus here is solely on the Orioles" and "I always honor my contracts" fall short of "I'm complimented that they would consider me, but I have no interest in that position," or something similar.

I don't blame him, it's an opportunity that may never pass his way again.

Archived