Ichiro (under consideration?)

Bumps49

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy.

Ichiro spent his entire MLB career as a Mariner.

He had a fanbase there second to none (I've spent a good chunk of my life in the Pacific Northwest).

"Loved" doesn't even cover it; the fans in Seattle worshiped that guy. Not only did he ask to be traded to the Yankees chasing a World Series ring, but on the very same day he held his press conference announcing his move to the Yankees he trotted out to his position in Safeco Field in godamned pinstripes.

He could have joined the Yankees at their next stop, but he suited up as a damn Yankee that same day and broke the hearts of an entire fan base.

It's one thing for Nick to leave the birds, but can you imagine if he held a presser in Camden Yards and then took to the field in OPACY in Yankee pinstripes?!?

I never want a guy who can do that on our team.

John

p.s. He'll go to the Hall of Fame but I hope he goes in as a Yankee. His little bronze cap should wear that "NY" for all time like the Mark of Cain.

It's easy.

He had a fanbase there second to none (I've spent a good chunk of my life in the Pacific Northwest).

"Loved" doesn't even cover it; the fans in Seattle worshiped that guy. Not only did he ask to be traded to the Yankees chasing a World Series ring, but on the very same day he held his press conference announcing his move to the Yankees he trotted out to his position in Safeco Field in godamned pinstripes.

He could have joined the Yankees at their next stop, but he suited up as a damn Yankee that same day and broke the hearts of an entire fan base. It's one thing for Nick to leave the birds, but can you imagine if he held a presser in Camden Yards and then took to the field in OPACY in Yankee pinstripes?!?

John

p.s. He'll go to the Hall of Fame but I hope he goes in as a Yankee. His little bronze cap should wear that "NY" for all time like the Mark of Cain.

Yeah that would probably piss me off too. Thanks for the explanation.

It's easy.

He could have joined the Yankees at their next stop, but he suited up as a damn Yankee that same day and broke the hearts of an entire fan base.

It's one thing for Nick to leave the birds, but can you imagine if he held a presser in Camden Yards and then took to the field in OPACY in Yankee pinstripes?!?

John

Is this a serious complaint?

The reason Ichiro took the field in Seattle as a Yankee is because the Yankees were playing in Seattle. In fact, they were just starting a three-game series there. So your complaint is that Ichiro got traded and then...played for his new team immediately? How dare he! Clearly, the Yankees should've gladly let the player they just acquired sit out for their next three games for no good reason.

Should Ichiro sit out every game he plays against the Mariners because the fans loved him?

Asked for the trade, and then took the field that day IN SEATTLE? Yeah, You DON'T have a problem with that? What's wrong with you? Wow, So you'd be ok with AJ asking to go to the Yankees, and then suiting up IN CAMDEN YARDS and playing as a Yankee that day? Intresting...

I remember that day.

I heard the announcement. Hell, I even called the front office of the Mariners just before the press conference (prepared to yell at somebody) and the receptionist I spoke to couldn't even talk, she was crying. Then the conference happened and it wasn't just that the Mariners traded him, but HE asked for the trade.

My kid brother (a grown man, but with a heart that beats for the Mariners like mine for the Os) broke down in tears too, and he's a tough dude. My Mom, Dad, my Brother and his girlfriend had tickets to go to that game. They couldn't do it.

It was just too heartbreaking.

Ichi said that he wanted to be traded to make room for a team that was rebuilding, but on more than one instance reporters working the Mariners beat said that his frustration at being with the Mariners and never making the postseason was key in his desire to go to the Yankees. His career needed a World Series ring, and so he left. And in the worst way possible.

Screw Him.

Asked for the trade, and then took the field that day IN SEATTLE? Yeah, You DON'T have a problem with that? What's wrong with you?

Nothing's wrong with me, because I understand how an MLB schedule works. If he gets traded to the Yankees, and the Yankees are playing that day in Seattle, what's he supposed to do? Refuse to play for his new team until they leave the city?

According to this article, the Seattle fans gave Ichiro a 45-second standing ovation before his first at-bat, and he bowed and doffed his helmet to them. Yeah, sounds like M's fans were really pissed at him.

Wow, So you'd be ok with AJ asking to go to the Yankees, and then suiting up IN CAMDEN YARDS and playing as a Yankee that day? Intresting...

First of all, Ichiro may have asked to be traded to a contender, but I can't find any indication that he specifically asked to be traded to the Yankees. Or that he specifically asked to be traded on the exact day the Yankees were in Seattle, just to piss off the fans. Also, the Yankees/Mariners rivalry certainly isn't the same thing as Orioles/Yankees.

Asked for the trade, and then took the field that day IN SEATTLE? Yeah, You DON'T have a problem with that? What's wrong with you? Wow, So you'd be ok with AJ asking to go to the Yankees, and then suiting up IN CAMDEN YARDS and playing as a Yankee that day? Intresting...

I remember that day.

I heard the announcement. Hell, I even called the front office of the Mariners just before the press conference (prepared to yell at somebody) and the receptionist I spoke to couldn't even talk, she was crying. Then the conference happened and it wasn't just that the Mariners traded him, but HE asked for the trade.

My kid brother (a grown man, but with a heart that beats for the Mariners like mine for the Os) broke down in tears too, and he's a tough dude. My Mom, Dad, my Brother and his girlfriend had tickets to go to that game. They couldn't do it.

Ichi said that he wanted to be traded to make room for a team that was rebuilding, but on more than one instance reporters working the Mariners beat said that his frustration at being with the Mariners and never making the postseason was key in his desire to go to the Yankees. His career needed a World Series ring, and so he left. And in the worst way possible.

Screw Him.

The issue with that is....??? Seattle certainly wasn't winning one that year and his career is just about over. Sometimes you have to go with a "now or never" thought process. He has Gold Gloves, an MVP, ROY, SS awards but yet no rings.

I remember that day.

Screw Him.

What it really comes down to is he went to the Yankees. It's the Mike Mussina syndrome. If he'd gone anywhere else, you probably wouldn't have been so "emotional" about it, but it's because of where he went. There's nothing wrong or unprecedented about a long tenured veteran asking to be traded, especially if the team they're with isn't any good, which the Mariners weren't. I don't recall all the details of the trade, but if he asked to be traded that wouldn't be surprising, and if it was to the Yankees, why wouldn't he have wanted to go there if winning a ring was his ultimate goal?

As for guys suiting up with their new team against their old team, this has happened many times over the years. Bud Norris started his first game as an Oriole against his old team in the stadium he'd just came to as a visitor. It happens, nothing you can do about it when it's your turn or the skipper says you're playing.

I remember that day.

Screw Him.

OMG! This is why fan is short for fanatic!

What it really comes down to is he went to the Yankees. It's the Mike Mussina syndrome. If he'd gone anywhere else, you probably wouldn't have been so "emotional" about it, but it's because of where he went. There's nothing wrong or unprecedented about a long tenured veteran asking to be traded, especially if the team they're with isn't any good, which the Mariners weren't. I don't recall all the details of the trade, but if he asked to be traded that wouldn't be surprising, and if it was to the Yankees, why wouldn't he have wanted to go there if winning a ring was his ultimate goal?

As for guys suiting up with their new team against their old team, this has happened many times over the years. Bud Norris started his first game as an Oriole against his old team in the stadium he'd just came to as a visitor. It happens, nothing you can do about it when it's your turn or the skipper says you're playing.

It is the Mussina syndrome. And there is nothing wrong with that.

All who go to the dark side deserve what they get.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>orioles, still looking for an outfielder, may consider ichiro suzuki. <a href="http://t.co/O5u7jV7kbD">http://t.co/O5u7jV7kbD</a></p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">December 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ichiro Suzki, the Japanese outfield sensation who's 41, is receiving some consideration from the Orioles.

Ichirio, who is hoping to play to reach the coveted 3,000 hits in Major League Baseball, is 156 hits short and looking for a job, and the Orioles seek another outfielder.

Baltimore has lost Nelson Cruz and Nick markakis via free agency and is also considering free agents Nori Aoki and Colby Rasmus, as well as their own Delmon Young.

Ichiro was said to have drawn a bit of interest at the Winter Meetings, but Baltimore becomes the first team connected to him. He hit .284 last year for the Yankees.

SMH.

Archived