Orioles Sign Delmon Young - 1 Year Deal

SticksandStones

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best O's pinch hitter I've ever seen. Great anti-LOOGY weapon and for switches in the interleague games (including the World Series!).

Merry Christmas!

I too am thrilled with the Delmon Christmas gift. The guy is a hitter for sure. But in Orioles history we have had some really good pinch hitters. Jim Dwyer is the one that stands out to me, but Andre Mora was not too shabby either. Any way you cut it though, I am thrilled to have Mr. Young back.

I too am thrilled with the Delmon Christmas gift. The guy is a hitter for sure. But in Orioles history we have had some really good pinch hitters. Jim Dwyer is the one that stands out to me, but Andre Mora was not too shabby either. Any way you cut it though, I am thrilled to have Mr. Young back.

Terry Crowley's .350 OBP in 494 career pinch-hit appearances was not too shabby. Not all of those were with the O's, but most were.

Terry Crowley's .350 OBP in 494 career pinch-hit appearances was not too shabby. Not all of those were with the O's, but most were.

Yes, Delmon has a very long way to go before he could begin to prove himself over essentially a starter's season-full of PAs like Crow did. And I acknowledge how good some other O's pinch-hitters were (I saw Dwyer hit a few thundering clutch PH-homers) and that there was an earlier golden age of pinch-hitting--I even grew up watching players like Smokey Burgess and Gates Brown make careers out of pinch-hitting. But never before Delmon last season had I felt so much confidence in a pinch-hitter that I just assumed he was going to deliver. True, it was only 23 PAs, but I doubt that any Oriole has outdone his .500/.565/.800 (OPS 1.365)! It must be why, except for the White Sox, we crushed the rest of the AL in pinch-hitting; the margin was enormous: O's .313; Chisox .307; Y's & Rangers .247!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/league/al/sort/pinchAvg/type/expanded-2/order/true

Well Terry... Terry Crowley's lucky he's in [expletive deleted] baseball ferchrissake! He was released by the Cinncinnata Reds. He was released by the [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] Atlanta Braves. We saw that Terry Crowley could sit on his [expletive deleted] ass for 8 innings and enjoy watchin' a baseball game just like any other fan and has the ability to get up there and break one open in the [expletive deleted] 9th! So if this [expletive deleted] guy would mind his own business and let me manage the [expletive deleted] team we'd be a lot better off!

Well Terry... Terry Crowley's lucky he's in [expletive deleted] baseball ferchrissake! He was released by the Cinncinnata Reds. He was released by the [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] Atlanta Braves. We saw that Terry Crowley could sit on his [expletive deleted] ass for 8 innings and enjoy watchin' a baseball game just like any other fan and has the ability to get up there and break one open in the [expletive deleted] 9th! So if this [expletive deleted] guy would mind his own business and let me manage the [expletive deleted] team we'd be a lot better off!

Well done ScOtt and I am glad DY is back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived