2015 Travis Snider Trade

xian4

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dig it. I think weams's point about the Pirates OF is on point.

Former Top 10 prospects having big second halves in their age 26/Arb 1 seasons are growth assets to hold. Unless you are lucky enough to have McCutchen, Marte and Polanco. Snider wouldn't be Pipped like this in many other organizations, especially ours.

His walk rate and fly ball distance has been noted, and it is also encouraging how much he reduced his strikeout rate at the same time, even amid the strikeout bonanza that was 2014 MLB.

Polanco's 2014 was like Schoop's - he was rushed a little and scuffled - the main difference in their seasons is the Pirates eased Polanco back. But he's still their third stud, and this move for them is a nice vote of confidence for a top talent who got bruised some in his first look at the show.

There are about 2000 PA's in a season for LF/RF/DH. I don't think you can count on more than 400 from Pearce. DeAza can probably do 550 without hurting you too much. That still leaves 1000+, and I believe Lough and Delmon are best used as 200 PA role players.

So before this trade I worried about that last 600 - in house that meant rushing Alvarez or Walker in my mind. Snider will do nicely for that role. I'm excited to see how his next 300 PA go, and consider him taking Delmon's spot in the starting nine. I'm not sure who out of DeAza, Pearce and Snider is the DH, but would say now they are the starters at those positions.

Delmon absolutely starts against LHP and pinch hits against LOOGY's, but isn't overextended.

...so this cements what I think will be the 13 position players on the team come day two. Wieters will at least be the #2 catcher.

C - Wieters (S), Joseph ®

1B - Davis (L), Pearce ®

2B - Schoop ®, Flaherty (L)

3B - Machado ®, Flaherty (L)

SS - Hardy ®, Flaherty (L)

LF - De Aza (L), Pearce ®

CF - Jones ®, Lough (L)

RF - Pearce ®, Lough (L)

DH - Snider (L), Young ®

Yes I think the team carries five outfielders, with Delmon a straight DH. Both Pearce and Snider can back up corner IF if absolutely needed.

Alex Hassan 26

Rey Navarro 25

Jason Garcia 22

Logan Verrett 24

Wesley Wright 29

Ryan Lavarnway 27

C J.P. Arencibia 29

Travis Snider 26

DD does a generally good job of getting guys just before their prime years. Maybe he's thinking it increases the odds of a breakout season from the lot.

This is an excellent pick up for the Orioles, to spin it any other way is laughable. He may not be the sexy, high dollar name that some people are clamoring for, but a 26 year old Travis Snider with a couple years of control for a couple of decent lower level prospects is a no brainer. I have never been a big DD supporter, but this is a great move.

1. Love this trade.

2. This guy will be as good as Markakis the next 2 years if healthy.

3. Losing Tarpley + PTBNL doesn't bother me. When we traded Hader and a pick for Norris, I was much more horrified. Hader was 2-3 times the prospect Tarpley is.

4. Surprised we dfa'd Ohlman. Bad year last year but I like guys that can hit. Hopefully, he'll sneak through.

This is an excellent pick up for the Orioles, to spin it any other way is laughable. He may not be the sexy, high dollar name that some people are clamoring for, but a 26 year old Travis Snider with a couple years of control for a couple of decent lower level prospects is a no brainer. I have never been a big DD supporter, but this is a great move.

We gave up some nice arms. But we have been collecting them as well. Better to trade some before we end up releasing or losing to Milb FA.

It would have to be Colby. Right?

Possibly. Houston has three other OFers that they like which is part of the reason they moved Fowler. If he struggles, he may not get the opportunity to play through it.

Snider has the opportunity to win the RF job and maybe start 140ish games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex Hassan 26

Rey Navarro 25

Jason Garcia 22

Logan Verrett 24

Wesley Wright 29

Ryan Lavarnway 27

C J.P. Arencibia 29

Travis Snider 26

DD does a generally good job of getting guys just before their prime years. Maybe he's thinking it increases the odds of a breakout season from the lot.

Agreed. One of the things he's really concentrated on. The oldest guy on the 40-man roster continues to be J.J. Hardy (age 32 season). I think for the most part this will remain so during the length of his contract.

AL East teams with # of players older than Hardy on the 40-man:

7 Yankees

6 Red Sox

4 Blue Jays

2 Rays

Archived