2015 Travis Snider Trade

xian4

We gave up some nice arms. But we have been collecting them as well. Better to trade some before we end up releasing or losing to Milb FA.

I hear you Weams, but your not going to get a Travis Snider at 26 years of age, with his contract situation for nothing. I want to see who the PTBNL is, but if he is "similar" to Tarpley then I like the deal lot.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could anyone possibly be against this move? We just got a guy who most would argue will be better than Markakis this year and beyond at a fraction of the cost. Yes, Tarpley has good tools, but he's by no stretch a can't miss prospect given his historical command and apparent intangible issues. He certainly won't be helping the major league team soon, if ever, and he's replaceable. And we are trying to compete this year and we needed outfield help.

So Duquette got a former top prospect who is entering his prime and who put up a .288/.356/.524/.880 slash line in the second half of last year and who will make about $9 million dollar less than the outfielder he let go who was leaving his prime and who is going to have neck surgery?

Not sure what the downside is here.

Tarpley has a good arm, is left handed and threw really well at the end of last season. Saying that, he's a long way from the major leagues, has maturity issues, and he's the kind of guy you move for a potential major league starting player.

As long as that non-roster player PTNL is not Sisco or Harvey, I like this move.

Personally, I think Snider sees a lot of time in RF and is a classic low price, high reward player.

So Duquette got a former top prospect who is entering his prime and who put up a .288/.356/.524/.880 slash line in the second half of last year and who will make about $9 million dollar less than the outfielder he let go who was leaving his prime and who is going to have neck surgery?

Tarpley has a good arm, is left handed and threw really well at the end of last season. Saying that, he's a long way from the major leagues, has maturity issues, and he's the kind of guy you move for a potential major league starting player.

As long as that non-roster player PTNL is not Sisco or Harvey, I like this move.

Personally, I think Snider sees a lot of time in RF and is a classic low price, high reward player.

I think it's a nice deal....I'm hoping we didn't give up Brault or another LHP as well.

I don't think it's a given that he outperforms Markakis though.

.246/.324/.411 for a .734 OPS against righties across a whole season but he mashed lefties at a good clip, albeit a smaller sample size. I like that his on base percentage isn't tied to his batting average a whole lot. It's not terribly far behind what Nick did against righties last year.

I agree with your assessment, low price, high reward. It's just that if he doesn't do well, I don't see much help out there. Pearce could be great again or he could be a one year wonder, Lough has question marks, too. The nice thing is that the outfield has options, but none of the options are really overwhelming. Buck can mix and match with the best of them, so there's that.

.246/.324/.411 for a .734 OPS against righties across a whole season but he mashed lefties at a good clip, albeit a smaller sample size. I like that his on base percentage isn't tied to his batting average a whole lot. It's not terribly far behind what Nick did against righties last year.

I agree with your assessment, low price, high reward. It's just that if he doesn't do well, I don't see much help out there. Pearce could be great again or he could be a one year wonder, Lough has question marks, too. The nice thing is that the outfield has options, but none of the options are really overwhelming. Buck can mix and match with the best of them, so there's that.

Right, which is exactly why Duquette always hedges his bets. Now he's got some depth out there between Pearce, DeAza, Lough and Snider along with Young. All of these guys have some upside.

Neither Brault nor Tarpley grades out as a particularly strong prospect in age-vs-league, but giving up those two + Ohlman (unless he makes it through waivers, which is possible) for 2 years of a part-time OF with one good season under his belt? While he's pretty much fairly paid via arbitration?

Not seeing the value vs Rasmus, really. Though it does fit with Duquette's MO of picking up marginal +value players for mid-tier or lower prospects (see: KRod for Delmonico, ERod for Miller, etc)

Alex Hassan 26

Rey Navarro 25

Jason Garcia 22

Logan Verrett 24

Wesley Wright 29

Ryan Lavarnway 27

C J.P. Arencibia 29

Travis Snider 26

DD does a generally good job of getting guys just before their prime years. Maybe he's thinking it increases the odds of a breakout season from the lot.

How many of these guys actually make the team or stay in the organization?

Snider's contact rate jumped up to 81.5% last year, and his batted-ball distance jumped to 301 ft. BABIP of .298 was BELOW career average.

He has the markers of a late breakout candidate -- I think this could be a great deal for us.

Archived