Where is the tampering charge for the Blue Jays?

Barnaby Graves

I thought they had permission, heck they had even talked about possible compensation .

From the B-Sun, last month:

No, they did not go through the appropriate channels. After the tampering occurred, the Orioles did negotiate for what they felt the damages should be. That went unresolved.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, they did not go through the appropriate channels. After the tampering occurred, the Orioles did negotiate for what they felt the damages should be. That went unresolved.

MMMM. MLB would award damages, if the Orioles filed a formal/official complaint, which I don't believe they did.

The discussion with Toronto and possible compensation was to allow him to end his contract with the orioles.

MMMM. MLB would award damages, if the Orioles filed a formal/official complaint, which I don't believe they did.

The discussion with Toronto and possible compensation was to allow him to end his contract with the orioles.

Not necessarily. Toronto would receive some type of punishment, that would not necessarily be passed on to the Orioles. That is why a negotiated settlement would serve better. And why Dan will not be permitted to leave. Until his contract is fulfilled.

How is it tampering?

Since the was a higher position, then what his current title is with the Orioles. They are allowed to talk to him and his agent and he would be allowed to accept, in spite of being under contract.

Yes, I know, Toronto is slimy and evil, and I don't respect them either.

This is my feeling as well. Keeping in mind that ownership did negotiate DD's release, it's hard for me to believe that tampering could be proven against the Blue Jays.

Obviously had Rogers not trampled the process, the Orioles would not have been able to ask for what they did.

This is my feeling as well. Keeping in mind that ownership did negotiate DD's release, it's hard for me to believe that tampering could be proven against the Blue Jays.

What is the harm in negotiating a possible settlement before filing charges? Isn't that done?

What's the possibility that Duquette is slotted to take the job after this season? That probably counts as a conspiracy theory but if both organizations agreed that putting distance between the drama and the transaction was a good idea while trying to let Beeston retire with some dignity rather than being thrown off a sinking ship then it could make sense.

At this point, I do not care one way or the other as long as it doesn't affect the way the team plays.

It would appear as if the Orioles got snotty because they didn't receive what they wanted as compensation.

Wait, what? The tampering comes into play if the BJ's essentially forced the Orioles into negotiations of that kind by approaching DD without permission (i.e., "poisoning the well" in a sense by dangling the chance for a major promotion in front of DD, thereby interferring with the O's internal operations).

The O's have DD under contract for several more years, and they've been to the postseason twice under his watch already...you think they actively engaged the Jays in trade talks for him...and were happy to do so?

There aren't enough MiLers in the Jays' system to make a trade "make sense," really. Compensation for DD would have been a bandaid of sorts for a situation that the BJ's made toxic (i.e., by tampering).

Wait, what? The tampering comes into play if the BJ's essentially forced the Orioles into negotiations of that kind by approaching DD without permission (i.e., "poisoning the well" in a sense by dangling the chance for a major promotion in front of DD, thereby interferring with the O's internal operations).

The O's have DD under contract for several more years, and they've been to the postseason twice under his watch already...you think they actively engaged the Jays in trade talks for him...and were happy to do so?

There aren't enough MiLers in the Jays' system to make a trade "make sense," really. Compensation for DD would have been a bandaid of sorts for a situation that the BJ's made toxic (i.e., by tampering).

Do you think Mr. Angelos would have entered into negotiations if he believed the Blue Jays were "poisoning the well"? Ham fisted, yes but to believe DD is so week willed that he was incapable of performing his duties is demeaning to DD and the Orioles ownership.

Based on what we've read from personal accounts, Toronto tampered with Kenny Williams. It's less clear to me how they tampered with us since Duquette hasn't said publicly what KW has. But from Toronto's malpractice, I think we can as fans assume they did the same with Dan. This doesn't change what likely happens behind the scenes, and what Dan and Peter know.

Tampering happened.

My question now is: what are some previous instances of tampering and how were they resolved?

Do you think Mr. Angelos would have entered into negotiations if he believed the Blue Jays were "poisoning the well"? Ham fisted, yes but to believe DD is so week willed that he was incapable of performing his duties is demeaning to DD and the Orioles ownership.

Whether another team is guilty of tampering has absolutely nothing to do with DD being "weak willed" or "incapable of performing his duties."

In other words, another team doesn't have to actually screw up the functioning of the O's FO (and DD doesn't have to do a bad job) in order for sanctionable tampering to take place.

Archived