O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everth hasn't made the team yet. He could still be sent down to Norfolk.

Nix is injured and will be out well into the first month of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did Nix get injured? I knew Janish had surgery, but what happened to Nix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, now Everth leads off vs. Righties, De Aza hits 9th. Against LHP, De Aza leads off and...

Flaherty bats ninth? Nix? Schoop?

You mean the other way around right? De Aza's left handed and Cabrera has a better split vs LHP.

I'm curious if the team keeps both Cabrera and Flaherty, and lets David Lough go.

Possible but I don't think so. Cabrera has played very little outfield. Lough is a key defensive replacement. There is really no reason to have both Flaherty and Cabrera on the same team, assuming that Schoop is the 2B. I must admit, there is a little voice in the back of my head that thinks there could be a big move involving Schoop and that's why Cabrera was signed.

The guys I was with tonight said, "You know, there is nothing wrong with a 22 year old spending three months in the minors to try to fins his bat."

o

Cabrera is as fast as blazes (he led the league with 44 stolen bases while playing in only 115 games in 2012.)

I have mixed emotions in regard to his OBP.

It improved from a decent .324 in 2012 to a very solid .355 in 2013.

However, it went down big-time in 2014, all the way to .272. :eek:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabreev01.shtml

I'm hoping that last season was simply a setback in his overall career progress at the plate, rather than it being the beginning of a pattern of decline.

It (2014's .272 OBP) was only one season, BUT ...... it is also his most recent season, hence my concern.

Per MLBTR, deal is now in place. $2.4 million + incentives.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/orioles-nearing-deal-with-everth-cabrera.html

That is almost double his previous season's salary in spite of his major tumble in OBP between 2013 and 2014 (from .355 down to .272.)

Taking that into consideration, I think that Cabrera should be happy with the deal.

A pretty good deal for the Orioles' front office, as well. $2.4 Million isn't that much in the context of the overall payroll.

I know it's a cliche, but I see this as a win/win situation for both sides.

That is almost double his previous season's salary in spite of his major tumble in OBP between 2013 and 2014 (from .355 down to .272.)
He made $2.45 million last season.

Oh, thanks.

I was looking at his 2013 salary. :o

I'll give you a greenie after I spread some rep around.

Archived