O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Thank you <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> fans for the support! <a href="http://t.co/dtrl8dqgg4">pic.twitter.com/dtrl8dqgg4</a></p>— Everth Cabrera (@CabreraEverth) <a href="

">February 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Schoop is not hitting in spring training' date=' I think he is going down. I could also see Flaherty going down to get regularly playing time to see if his hitting can improve. If Cabrera still shows signs of an offensive slump carrying over from last year, he can go down. All three have an option, so it's all good. Any injury later in the year and we pull one up.[/quote']

Sorry, Flaherty has 750 PAs in the bigs, not sure regular playing time in AAA, would help his hitting in the majors.

If Cabrera is going to be the starting 2B, Schoop goes down to play everyday at Norfolk.

If Schoop retains his starting job, Flaherty goes down because Cabrera is a better utility option than Flaherty.

I think that's the equation. Barring injury or off-field issues, I don't see a scenario where Cabrera doesn't break camp with the team, despite having an option remaining.

Cot's has Schoop at 1.027 service time entering this year. I didn't always know that .027 means 27 days - for a while I thought it was decimals.

I think that means he would need to be down about six weeks to remain under six years even after the 2019 season - that would change him to like 5.175 at that point instead of 6.027. I'm not sure how high the non-decimal number of days goes - I think somewhere in the 180's.

So the balance seems to be a couple months of 2015 to gain club control of 2020.

I like this signing. Lots of discussion about where the Os would put ECab, but I think one also needs to look at why he chose Bmore and I expect Schoop's stats last season provide ECab with an opportunity he is looking for - acknowledging that ECab signing for under $3M means that he did not have many bidders.

While I'd like to see Schoop come into ST a better hitter and keep his 2B spot, I like DD grabbing these guys near peak production age.

He's the anti Schoop. He wont hit HR, but he'll get on base, steal them, and play good D. And he's a SH.

So that means you don't think Schoop plays good D? :P

While I do think Cabrera won't have any problems playing second keep in mind he has limited experience there. I also would not expect him to play as well as Schoop did last season.

It's interesting to consider is he more a threat to Schoop or Flaherty.

To the extent that you want bench guys to have complementary skills to your starting position players, I could see this worse for Flaherty. He's a slow slugger, standard Oriole issue and similar to Schoop - Cabrera's is a totally different skill set.

To the extent that you want bench guys to have complementary skills to your starting position players, I could see this worse for Flaherty. He's a slow slugger, standard Oriole issue and similar to Schoop - Cabrera's is a totally different skill set.

I think folks are assuming it is Schoop at risk since they don't think the O's will pay 2.4-3 million for a utility infielder to start maybe twice a week and pinch run.

I think the hope is that Cabrera fills the second base role well over the next two seasons.

Cot's has Schoop at 1.027 service time entering this year. I didn't always know that .027 means 27 days - for a while I thought it was decimals.

I think that means he would need to be down about six weeks to remain under six years even after the 2019 season - that would change him to like 5.175 at that point instead of 6.027. I'm not sure how high the non-decimal number of days goes - I think somewhere in the 180's.

So the balance seems to be a couple months of 2015 to gain club control of 2020.

171. 172 is a full season.

I honestly can't see it playing another way.

Archived