Adam Jones: 'I deserve a little bit of respect' from front office

eddie83

Seems like if Adam wants communication he should have had a meeting with Buck and Dan as told them so face to face. Not through the media. Many things management does not want leaked to the media. Adam using the media to get what he wants may limit how much they would share with Adam for fear of it not being kept confidential.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imagine the destruction that would happen within the FO if players were allowed to go over the heads of management straight to ownership whenever they felt the need. Certainly PA is smart enough to have his secretary explain the facts of life to AJ if he called, because clearly AJ isn't smart enough to understand them on his own. I'm all for players feeling included in general terms, but its called an organization for a reason. Take away the structure and the rules, and it becomes nothing more than the sort of monarchy we all rightly fear from past experience.

Bit harsh, don't ya think? I don't think anyone should be ignoring Adam's calls. He's committed to this organization, he's the face of the franchise. He deserves to have an idea of what the FO is doing.

Bit harsh, don't ya think? I don't think anyone should be ignoring Adam's calls. He's committed to this organization, he's the face of the franchise. He deserves to have an idea of what the FO is doing.

Not in the slightest. This is the dumbest damn thing imaginable. The fact that he's the "face of the franchise" only makes the awkwardness larger. In a rational universe it doesn't alter a thing, because having a personal relationship with the boss is one thing, trading on that relationship at the expense of those who have been given real, substantial and deserved responsibilities elsewhere in the organization is something else entirely.

It may be that DD could have behaved differently to better contain this situation. It's hard to imagine a situation sufficiently dire to warrant AJ having a tantrum on social media for God's sake.

With respect weams, AJ has made it something more by airing dirty laundry in public. If he wanted more respect and more inclusion from DD, IMO this is the worst possible way to go about it. We don't criticize Mods in the forums on the OH. Same idea albeit on a much larger scale.

I'm also not sure that other core players (JJ, Wieters, Davis) feel comfortable about being spoken for by AJ. Wonder how presumptuous it was of him to do so:

"I've built a reputation in this organization and the city. I just feel I could be and should be involved a little bit. Not just me. Myself, (J.J.) Hardy, Matt Wieters, CD (Chris Davis), your core guys should have a feel of what's upcoming."

BTW. I was in Philly today. #StayHungry

philips-steaks-south-philadelphia-ext1-920vp.jpg

And I was in Lakeland....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/masnRoch">@masnRoch</a> turkey leg is greasy <a href="http://t.co/9lGgHDlZCl">pic.twitter.com/9lGgHDlZCl</a></p>— bob mcculloch (@bobbymac824) <a href="

">March 3, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Stupid and disrespectful to go public with this. And stupid and disrespectful for Dan not to return phone calls from Jones, if that's what happened. Even if Dan called and said something to the extent of: You're the heart of the team and a very good player, but team building is my job and I need you to back up a bit. That would be a reasonable response. Ignoring him was not.

Obviously this is mostly speculation. Jones could just be mouthing off for no reason, but I doubt it. Either way both DD and Jones look childish here.

Adam Jones does not deserve an explanation nor should he have a say. He is a player. That is all. When he retires he can buy a team and have all the say he wants.

I understand the sentiment, but players are people and you cannot run a team by treating them merely as commodities, particularly when you occasionally have to convince free agents to come here.

Archived