A Nightmare Future

weams

Travis Snider? The guy with a career OPS+ of 95? Who has barely played a single full year in the ML's? No way do the O's sign him to a four year deal after this season. No way. This is DD you are talking about. Maybe they resign him after 2016, but no way before.

OK. I disagree. If Travis is OPSing .800+ at the AS break, I think DD tries to extend him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK. I disagree. If Travis is OPSing .800+ at the AS break, I think DD tries to extend him.

I have to strongly disagree. No way does DD give Snider a 4 year deal based off one good half. Even if they did approach him about an extension, Snider would want to be paid based off his recent performance and not his career averages. They wouldn't be able to come to an agreement unless the O's overpaid, IMO.

Can you support that opinion with any data/evidence whatsoever? When has DD behaved in a similar manner? Why on Earth would they invest a four year contract into a player they still control for a year with such a spotty and not even strong playing history? They are hoping to catch lightening in a bottle, not tie themselves to a long term deal.

I have to strongly disagree. No way does DD give Snider a 4 year deal based off one good half. Even if they did approach him about an extension, Snider would want to be paid based off his recent performance and not his career averages. They wouldn't be able to come to an agreement unless the O's overpaid, IMO.

Let's see. Obviously I can't add anything else in terms of a crystal ball.

Assuming Davis is gone the O's will need power from the left side. If Travis is performing towards the upper end of his potential then he will be showing LH power. His is just coming into his prime. He was a very highly touted, talented draft pick and MiL player who was rushed to the ML. If he performs well the 1st half of this year, following the 2nd half of last year, (obviously pending coaches inputs) I'm guessing that Dan and Buck will think that he's turned a corner. Buying out the last year of arb and 3 years of FA for this type of player is exactly the type of deal that DD likes to make and that the Orioles NEED to make, given that we are likely to lose ~1/3 of our 25-man roster next winter.

This is my hunch. We'll see how it plays out.

Its March 2015. Its a long season where so many things can happen that its utterly absurd to make plans for the 2016 off season.

The only thing we know, is there are a bunch of guys who can become free agents after this season. That is it.

What the Orioles need or should do is undetermined at this time.

Archived