A Nightmare Future

weams

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12448236/cliff-lee-philadelphia-phillies-says-surgery-end-season-possibly-career

Cliff Lee's career may be over. The Phillies sure look dumb for not trading him when they had the chance.

"Basically, if I have the surgery, this season will be done, possibly my career, I guess," Lee said. "I don't know. We'll have to see."

Well they will at least collect insurance on his contract.

It is crazy though that Halladay and Lee could both go from aces to out of baseball in two seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's not talk about 13 like it is a definite number. It could easily be 8-9.

I take that back. Let's talk about it. Five for sure this season.

Three for sure next season. Plus Wieters. Davis. Chen. For sure.

Then maybe for Norris and a competitive balance.

Let's spell out your concern.

It's also possible that Steve Pearce has a 6 WAR season. QO then?

I take that back. Let's talk about it. Five for sure this season.

Three for sure next season. Plus Wieters. Davis. Chen. For sure.

Then maybe for Norris and a competitive balance.

Let's spell out your concern.

It's also possible that Steve Pearce has a 6 WAR season. QO then?

Four for sure this year. Fifth could still be traded.

Next year is all assumptions. Sure we could get 3-4 picks for our FA, but the team could also sign a free agent with draft pick compensation, taking away a draft pick. It is also highly doubtful we get a CB pick next year. Pearce would be hurt financially by a QO and would probably end up back with the Os. And of course the Os could resign one of their free agents.

Next year is all assumptions. Sure we could get 3-4 picks for our FA, but the team could also sign a free agent with draft pick compensation, taking away a draft pick. It is also highly doubtful we get a CB pick next year. Pearce would be hurt financially by a QO and would probably end up back with the Os. And of course the Os could resign one of their free agents.

See. I was saying that we should build contrary to the Chris Davis proposed model. Of course you could get an idiot GM in there and give away all of our picks next year by signing overpriced free agents. Of course we could. I was assuming that we were on a course. I guess we could reverse course.

Why would you think that we would not get a competitive balance pick? Only three teams lose out completely. Right?

Introduced when the current Collective Bargaining Agreement began in December 2011, the Competitive Balance Lottery gives teams that have either one of the 10 smallest markets or 10 smallest revenue pools one of six additional choices after each of the first and second rounds. Additionally, any other clubs that receive revenue-sharing funds are eligible for the supplemental second-round selections.

There were 15 teams eligible to receive a pick in this year's lottery -- the Twins and Mariners were eligible for a Round B selection only, by virtue of having received revenue sharing. The Pirates, Rays and Royals were not selected.

We qualify.

See. I was saying that we should build contrary to the Chris Davis proposed model. Of course you could get an idiot GM in there and give away all of our picks next year by signing overpriced free agents. Of course we could. I was assuming that we were on a course. I guess we could reverse course.

All I am saying is don't talk about 13 picks like it is guaranteed.

Archived