Tim Beckham or Ed Salcedo?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the O's should sign Salcedo for SS and draft Beckham for 2B. This would make one heck of a MI in two years whenever Reimold, Synder, Rowell, and Wieters are ready.

Your joking right? The kid is 16 years old and you have him in the bigs in 2 years.:eek: I'm not even going to touch the money issues.

I think the O's should sign Salcedo and draft Beckham

So then the O's would have two good, young (possible allstar) MI. Beckham and Salcedo would be ready whenever Rowell, Reimold, Synder, and Wieters is ready.

Then sign Teix

SO LINEUP WOULD BE:

2B-Beckham-R?

CF-Jones-R

RF-Markakis-L

1B-TEIX-S

SS-Salcedo-R

LF-Reimold-R

CA-Wieters-S

DH-Synder-L

3B-Rowell-R

Who are they??

Salcedo is a phenom out of Domincan Rep.--his agent is Boras-He will be during 17 this summer. Boras has claimed that he will be a 18 year old phenom. 6'3" 190lbs. Boras is asking for 5million-but recent offers are around 3million from the Yanks, Redsox, and Indians. I believe Boras is great at finding talent, but he always want to take your wallet.

Beckham is a TOP Highschooler this coming draft-TOP 5 pick-TOP Middle Infielder-has played SS and 2b

Salcedo is 16, he won't be ready until 2011 and thats if he's absolutely everything everybody hopes he'll be, and he won't be a major impact player until 2013 even if he's ready in 2011. That'd be in the majors by 19, a star by 21. Incredibly unlikely.

Beckham won't be ready until 2011 at the earliest either, and again even that is incredibly unlikely.

So while I think it'd be smart to sign a talent like Salcedo, and to draft Beckham if you think he's the best player, assuming these guys will help the MLB roster in the next 3-4 seasons is incredibly risky.

Salcedo is less likely to stick at SS than Beckham....and Beckham is regarded as a possible gold glover. Not to mention the money it will take to sign Salcedo, mixed with our complete lack of a presence in the DR. That alone makes this idea nearly impossible, and thats not even taking into account the 2 year time frame you give. This is a very unlikely scenario. Fun idea, but its not going to happen.

Not sure why this post is in this forum... but the smart thing to do would be sign Salcedo. We'd basically have 2 first round picks this year whether or not we take Beckham. I'd love to see us start spending some cash on top-notch young foreign talent but I wouldn't get my hopes up for Salcedo.

Not sure why this post is in this forum... but the smart thing to do would be sign Salcedo. We'd basically have 2 first round picks this year whether or not we take Beckham. I'd love to see us start spending some cash on top-notch young foreign talent but I wouldn't get my hopes up for Salcedo.

Agreed, it is a great idea to sign Salcedo, but it won't happen...not with our presence in the DR. With how highly Beckham's defense is regarded, it doesn't make sense to move him to 2nd for Salcedo.

That is true. At least we'd send a message that we're not unknowns in that market until we can get our facilities up to par.

Shrug. I think hiring Felipe Alou, Jr. as our chief guy down there is by far the best move we could have made. He adds instant credibility to the organization; I don't think there will be the slow build-up of momentum that some are envisioning. BAL should be a big player right away.

Archived