When you played, finger in or out of the glove?

scOtt

Index finger in or out of the glove?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Index finger in or out of the glove?

• In
    • Out
    • I'm old enough I played barehanded

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never played the OF. (Stuck me in RF some when I was younger.)

Because...

I CAN'T catch a flyball. CAN NOT do it. At 2B I once had an IF fly rule drop because I couldn't catch it. Is that a PO?

I'll never forget my first time catching a pop up in little league. The coach told me to wait till it looks like it's going to hit you on the head then reach up and catch it. So I did, but it hit me on the head first. Down hill after that. First glove looked like this:

wpe59.jpg

I also find it interesting that players of the 1880s thought it un-manly to use a glove and taunted and made fun of the early adopters. Players would use thin, skin-colored gloves to try to keep their hands from getting seriously injured but also avoid as much flack from other players as possible. Even catchers played through the amateur era and into the 1870s with essentially no protective equipment. One thing that was lost when gloves were accepted was the ability to throw with your off hand. Many players were (and probably still are) a little bit ambidextrous, and would sometimes throw with their "wrong" hand when positioning and timing dictated it.

I was a Catcher, and there was no way to put a finger out on my old Nocona Catchers Mitt. But I love this question, because I could never understand why guys put a finger out of the gloves. It was not an option for me, but I always thought I would want all of my fingers in the glove. On the rare occasion I would play first base, in tournaments when they did not want me to Catch 3 games in one day, I had all fingers inside of my Dad's old Claw first basemans glove.

This is like the toilet paper over/under question. Always over, and always out.

Always over the top ... much easier to pick it up out of the hand; it comes down low, much harder to pick up.

(And out, for sure; golf glove on the lower hand.)

Archived