The 2015 Buck Showalter Is a Genius Thread

bobmc

I don't have an issue with Davis last night as they all looked bad. I don't understand, and maybe there is something else to it, but why does Pearce pinch hit for Snider. He was hitting at least and seeing the ball well. Let Pearce pinch hit for the pitcher.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a genius!

Davis and De Aza non-performing? Write 'em in. Lough rusty? Sit Snider and Del. Hardy need a spell? WhatEverth! :clap3: Does Lavarnway suck? Step on up Ry.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> and marlins lineups <a href="http://t.co/KAGnHjIu6O">pic.twitter.com/KAGnHjIu6O</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 24, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 2 weeks later...

Really not a single thread or comment on Buck removing the ace of his staff after only 91 pitches and a lead off single (4th hit of the game) in the 7th inning.

I read that Ubaldo was miffed and I'm not surprised.

I was shocked, and I think Brach was also. Didn't seem that he was ready physically or mentally as I'm sure everyone in the stadium was surprised. Was Brach warming up beween innings? How could he possibly have had the time to warm up properly after one batter in the 7th when Ubaldo had been dominating all game??

Really not a single thread or comment on Buck removing the ace of his staff after only 91 pitches and a lead off single (4th hit of the game) in the 7th inning.

I read that Ubaldo was miffed and I'm not surprised.

I was shocked, and I think Brach was also. Didn't seem that he was ready physically or mentally as I'm sure everyone in the stadium was surprised. Was Brach warming up beween innings? How could he possibly have had the time to warm up properly after one batter in the 7th when Ubaldo had been dominating all game??

I don't agree with the: Send him out then pull him if he allows a baserunner mindset. I would rather send the reliever out there to start a clean inning if I am not confident in my starter to finish an inning.

But a lot of guys do it.

And I have a lot of off kilter ideas about pitching.

I don't know, I wanted to see Ubaldo finish the inning too, but if Brach gets a double play ball and an out, nobody is having this conversation. Brach had been pitching well and Ubaldo was at a borderline number of pitches. Buck did what he thought would give us the best chance at a win. Just seems like Buck can't win right now. He leaves Tillman in and gets crushed, takes Ubaldo out and Brach gets crushed. I really need to become a Buddhist because baseball is incredibly frustrating if you expect every decision to pay off.

I don't know, I wanted to see Ubaldo finish the inning too, but if Brach gets a double play ball and an out, nobody is having this conversation. Brach had been pitching well and Ubaldo was at a borderline number of pitches. Buck did what he thought would give us the best chance at a win. Just seems like Buck can't win right now. He leaves Tillman in and gets crushed, takes Ubaldo out and Brach gets crushed. I really need to become a Buddhist because baseball is incredibly frustrating if you expect every decision to pay off.

I disagree with the notion that 91 pitches for Ubaldo is anywhere near a borderline number of pitches.

Ubaldo was at 91 pitches.

Bach has been pretty much lights out, I dont think at the time, most people had a problem with the hook. Even after the loss last night, he is 10-2 over the past two seasons.

Of course, afterwards, it's easy to complain.

I like what Roch wrote:

. I thought Showalter had a quick hook with Jimenez, but he went with a hot hand. It didn't work out. I'd immediately replace the crystal ball in the dugout.

and I think this is what really stands out. He sticks with a guy that has been getting hammered all year and was struggling all game, and he has a quick hook with his best pitcher who had dominating stuff.

I think Buck is in a slump and needs to get back in touch with the percentages. Brad Brach is a journeyman reliever making near the ML minimum, Ubaldo is the ace of his staff making 12 million a year. I could see that move in the 8th @ 110 pitches, but in the 7th at 91 pitches. It was a bad call, and I threw my remote at the TV when I saw him walk out of the dugout, so it wasn't hindsight; and I would have called it a bad move even if Brach got the next 3 outs on 2 pitches.

Less for younger guys but yea, no reason to think Ubaldo has to get pulled at 100.

But, he with with his gut, not going to fault him on it.

Valbuena was coming up with a man on first and had already taken a ride out of the park earlier off Ubaldo. With Bach already up and warming since the inning started, Buck was clearly playing to win and turn the game over to his steady reliable bullpen.

and I think this is what really stands out. He sticks with a guy that has been getting hammered all year and was struggling all game, and he has a quick hook with his best pitcher who had dominating stuff.

I think Buck is in a slump and needs to get back in touch with the percentages. Brad Brach is a journeyman reliever making near the ML minimum, Ubaldo is the ace of his staff making 12 million a year. I could see that move in the 8th @ 110 pitches, but in the 7th at 91 pitches. It was a bad call, and I threw my remote at the TV when I saw him walk out of the dugout, so it wasn't hindsight; and I would have called it a bad move even if Brach got the next 3 outs on 2 pitches.

My guess is if it wasn't Valbuena coming up Buck would have given him more rope.

Archived