Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

Weams you and I have had this discussion before and I respect your opinion.

But, I for one, loves the owners like Snyder and Mark Cuban, with a real fire and love for the game and the history of the franchise.

I think we could have a debate on if Angelos has the same type of love for the franchise.

You see Snyder and Cubans at their games, but most nights the owner suite is plain dark and closed up.

Why is that?

For one thing, Peter Angelos is 85 years old and running the Orioles is not his principal business.

I can't believe anyone would defend Dan Snyder because he is passionate about the Redskins. The guy undercuts his GM and coaching staff at every turn. He's completely incapable of hiring good people and then letting them do their jobs without interfering with them.

Cuban's a different story. He's passionate about his team but he doesn't seem to meddle much at all.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every. Single. Game. Counts.

We had that win in our pockets until the grand slam.

You put Miller in instead of Hunter, we win that game.

I want the Orioles to win. It's that simple.

MSK

Literally every single person on this board would like to have Miller on the team, so don't pat yourself on the back for being some kind of visionary.

The whole point is whether you want Miller on the team for the money he's getting. Obviously he's going to have some good games against the Orioles, but 4/36 is a lot of money, especially for a team that just had to sell a draft pick to raise $2.75M.

Literally every single person on this board would like to have Miller on the team, so don't pat yourself on the back for being some kind of visionary.

The whole point is whether you want Miller on the team for the money he's getting. Obviously he's going to have some good games against the Orioles, but 4/36 is a lot of money, especially for a team that just had to sell a draft pick to raise $2.75M.

The question is whether or not the money will come back in the form of ticket sales because of increased wins. The Orioles' attendance is ticking upward but for a lot of Marylanders their success is still a hard sell even with the generally cheaper-than-average costs of OPACY.

Families are very gunshy about the Orioles, especially non-sabermetric folks who just want to see their teams win. Most fans don't use algebra when they watch games, they only care if the best team is put onto the field. Right now, I can't say that's the case.

Davis is lost right now.

Hunter shouldn't be counted upon especially when you had a KNOWN VALUE like Miller already in-house.

KEY WORDS: KNOWN VALUE.

Miller shuts teams down. He's going to shut us down a lot. I'd much rather have him on our side than not.

MSK

From the Sun:

The truth is the Orioles never pursued him. One “touch-base” conversation at the general manager meetings was the extent of the discussions. The Orioles never had any intention of re-signing a guy that helped pitch them into the playoffs and then dominated in the postseason, allowing just one hit and one walk in 7 1/3 scoreless innings.

Why?

Because they knew the 29-year-old Miller had hit the baseball lottery – that he would land the largest contract for a nonclosing reliever in history. And he did, with a four-year, $36 million deal from the Yankees.

But he wasn’t going to be the closer in Baltimore, not with his buddy Zach Britton seizing the role last May (before Miller was dealt to the Orioles by the Boston Red Sox in July) and being a relatively cheap alternative.

In fact, even if the Orioles had offered Miller the same contract, he probably wouldn’t have taken it. Although he said repeatedly he was not looking specifically at being a closer, that’s every reliever’s dream. And Britton was more established in the role than Betances, who had set-up (and done well in the role) behind David Robertson in New York.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-revisiting-andrew-millers-departure-20150413-story.html

The question is whether or not the money will come back in the form of ticket sales because of increased wins. The Orioles' attendance is ticking upward but for a lot of Marylanders their success is still a hard sell even with the generally cheaper-than-average costs of OPACY.

Families are very gunshy about the Orioles, especially non-sabermetric folks who just want to see their teams win. Most fans don't use algebra when they watch games, they only care if the best team is put onto the field. Right now, I can't say that's the case.

Davis is lost right now.

Hunter shouldn't be counted upon especially when you had a KNOWN VALUE like Miller already in-house.

Miller shuts teams down. He's going to shut us down a lot. I'd much rather have him on our side than not.

MSK

Right, he's a good pitcher, and I wish he were on the team right now, but money is a factor. Sounds like we agree.

MSK

First of all, I think we all understand Miller is an excellent pitcher. Yeah, if he comes into a game against us with a lead, he's probably going to preserve that lead about 90% of the time.

At the same time, you are talking about a guy who at best is going to throw 60-70 innings. There's only so much of your payroll you can devote to a guy who throws five percent of your team's innings.

Let's get this straight. TRUE FANS like MSK want to WIN with the BEST players. Calculus counting geek fans like yourself are content losing with inferior players as long as the math makes sense. Comprende?

Davis is lost right now.

MSK

You are greatly overestimating the increase in ticket sales going back towards payroll.

And how is Miller a known commodity? Last year was a career year for him. Don't get me wrong, he has improved each year since he was moved to the bullpen. But last year was the first where he was so shutdown.

I would have loved to kept Miller but at the same time, that was a lot of money to give to a guy who count it one save going into last offseason. If Britton hadn't emerged last year as the closer and Balfour had performed well after we dropped the contract offer after the failed physical, I'd be more inclined to understand where people are coming from but I am sorry but I am not going to act like it's the biggest mistake of the DD era after Andrew Miller got a save against us in the second week of a four year deal. If he pitches like this all four years, I'll be happy to admit that I was wrong and that we should have signed him but we weren't getting him for what the Yankees got him for. It sucks we lost last night but we're not having this conversation if we had won last night and that's why these threads are frankly so tiring. They are reactionary. Miller can enjoy his nice new deal from the Yankees all he wants but I'll predict here and now that the Orioles will be the better team over the four years and Britton will provide similar value for a fraction of the price.

In this thread I've learned that Miller is a great reliever who will succeed much more than he fails and who I'd rather have on our team than on the opponent's team. This is top notch stuff.

N x R* x fp x ne x fl x fi x fc x L/Peter Angelos = Spending money on players who lead to wins is a bad thing, a horrible bad thing because the team makes no money, ever.

MSK

N x R* x fp x ne x fl x fi x fc x L/Peter Angelos = Spending money on players who lead to wins is a bad thing, a horrible bad thing because the team makes no money, ever.

MSK

Yeah if you seriously think that is what the posters here are saying than you are much more clueless than I thought.

Archived