Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

Correct. And I believe the current dollar has 4% of the value of a 1913 dollar.

I think if we are talking 2008 forward in the US that is not the trend. The dollar has done well against the Euro and the Canadian dollar. Maybe even the Yen as well.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The World Champion 1983 Orioles had a total payroll of $7,632,625.00. In today's dollars that comes to $17,987,399.65. There are several player whose individual salaries alone dwarf that. The argument that the primary driver of the current Orioles team salaries is inflation outside of any other context (such as a changing business and marketing environment) is remarkably bizarre.

Very bizarre. And I would assume designed to sell a theory.

I think if we are talking 2008 forward in the US that is not the trend. The dollar has done well against the Euro and the Canadian dollar. Maybe even the Yen as well.

Just Because the dollar does well against other currencies doesn't mean that it isn't losing value itself. Just everything else is losing value faster.

Just Because the dollar does well against other currencies doesn't mean that it isn't losing value itself. Just everything else is losing value faster.

Just a random tidbit but I have been in both India when the rupee devalued and in Ukraine twice when the hryvinia devalued greatly and it is crazy to gain double the spending power in only a few days.

Apple actually lost money in Russia when the ruble devalued over the weekend and Apple couldn't or wouldn't close their stores until Monday.

The US Economy has has no inflation at all in eight years. None. And the Orioles had to give away half their market.

I'm using Consumer Price Index, not dollar value compared to another currency (for example). In other words the buying power of a dollar over time as understood by most people. Does it need to be more sophisticated for the purposes of this thread?

1. The part where you pretend we have an infinite amount of money to spend, and don't have to make choices about where to spend the budget we have. And yes, we do have money. We're in the top half of the league in payroll. But we have limits, and we have a lot of players who are in the phase of their careers where their salaries are escalating.

2. The part where you pretend that we haven't been winning the last three years, taking the same approach as we're taking now.

Wow, that was a scathing rebuttal you took on this one.

image removed by Soprano

I'm using Consumer Price Index, not dollar value compared to another currency (for example). In other words the buying power of a dollar over time as understood by most people. Does it need to be more sophisticated for the purposes of this thread?

No. It doesn't.

I would also like to point out:

Attendance:

1999-> 3,432,099

2000-> 3,153,397

2014-> 2,464,473

I mention the 1999 attendance because the 2000 payroll is probably based off of 1999 revenue figures.

Following are average MLB team payrolls from 1996-2003

1996: $33,690,148

1997: $40,226,141

1998: $40,691,972

1999: $47,705,954

2000: $55,399,310

2001: $63,541,750

2002: $67,382,276

2003: $69,719,877

Attendance may well have factored into Orioles budget discussions during the 1999-2000 offseason, but other significant factors were clearly in play industry-wide from 1999 to 2001.

Our payroll in 2000 was 81 million. Our payroll this year is 110 million. If you account for inflation, there has not been any increase in the last 15 years.

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

Our opening day payroll was $110 million because it didn't include the salary of Chris Davis. Our actual payroll is $121.5 million, which is Davis' salary minus the minimum salary he replaced. Also I wonder why you used the 2000 payroll instead of say, 2002.

Just a random tidbit but I have been in both India when the rupee devalued and in Ukraine twice when the hryvinia devalued greatly and it is crazy to gain double the spending power in only a few days.

Apple actually lost money in Russia when the ruble devalued over the weekend and Apple couldn't or wouldn't close their stores until Monday.

The dollar has become very strong against the EURO as well. It is sitting at 1 USD = .94 EURO which is nuts compared to recent history. When I was there last year it was something like 1/.79. Now is the time for a european trip.

The dollar has become very strong against the EURO as well. It is sitting at 1 USD = .94 EURO which is nuts compared to recent history. When I was there last year it was something like 1/.79. Now is the time for a european trip.

EUROTRIP-poster-a.jpg

Archived