Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

If I am managing Miller pitches the 8th, Britton pitches the 9th. I like how Sox used Koji in 9th. We were on borrowed time pitching Matusz in the 9th. He was lucky to get out of the 8th. Thank you for posting Stan Charles tweet. I said it last fall. It was a must to sign Miller. Does this franchise want to win?????

I am not disagreeing about Miller. But using this game as an argument is stupid.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not disagreeing about Miller. But using this game as an argument is stupid.

We have the highest ERA of any team in the American League. Miller is a stud. Arguably has the best stuff of any reliever I have seen in my 5o years following the team

We have the highest ERA of any team in the American League. Miller is a stud. Arguably has the best stuff of any reliever I have seen in my 5o years following the team

It's the economic realities of the sport. Plain and simple. We all know that we would be better off with Miller here. Miller is making what some everyday players are.

Matusz would have been gone over Hunter. Would we still have DeAza? Would Cabrera have been signed?

Possibly. But you are right. This team is vastly different with Miller on it personnel wise.

That's why I really laugh at these comments where people are substituting Miller for a different pitcher. It doesn't work like that.

At some point people have to realize who the Orioles are. If we give Miller that kind of money then other players are gone. This isn't NY or Boston.

Actually, I am not sure that Miller would have taken our offer, no matter how high it was. Miller is the Yankees closer. He wouldn't have been the closer on the Os.

It's reasonable to say that Andrew Miller would win some games we lose this year. Maybe two or three of them. You can pick and choose which ones to count as the Miller wins for this season., When you have named two or three games, you must stop. Because that is all he is worth. Two or three games.

Actually, I am not sure that Miller would have taken our offer, no matter how high it was. Miller is the Yankees closer. He wouldn't have been the closer on the Os.

Sure he would have. You just demote Zach. That's all.

He is the Yankees closer because Betances was off his game. He wasnt dubbed the closer when he was signed.

Are we going to have this conversation after every tight loss? Listen I loved having Miller here and man it would be great to have him in our pen but they weren't going to give 9 million a year to a reliever. The FO has seen how quickly Johnson went from 50 save a year guy to decline. They saw how Balfour the guy they offered a deal to last year but failed his physical imploded in Tampa. I said in the Cruz thread but this really is the most inappropriate time to be ragging on the Orioles for not extending these guys. If Miller is still pitching at a high level in two or three years for the Yankees and Britton isn't closer, maybe I'll agree but giving Miller a big pay day would make it harder to extend key elements later. Sorry for sounding so harsh but I really think it's a bad time to second guess the deal. We should know by now how volatile relief pitching is. Just because Miller is on right now and even this year is no guarantee he will be the rest of his contract.

It's the economic realities of the sport. Plain and simple. We all know that we would be better off with Miller here. Miller is making what some everyday players are.

Does anyone have any confidence in Hunter and Matusz? I would like to have confidence that things are going to turn around. I just don't see it. Gausman may need to go down and get innings in as a starter

Sure he would have. You just demote Zach. That's all.

Which as I'm sure you would agree would have been greatly unfair to Zach. You extend Miller if the economics of the game are more I guess fairer or if you can just demote Britton and not expect there to be problems. Frankly, I just can't believe we're having this conversation knowing how much relief pitching can change from year to year.

Archived