Bill Madden: Orioles are the Least Flawed Team in a Flawed Division

OFFNY

o

The title of the article and the tone of his perception of the division is less than flattering, but Madden's assessment of the Orioles seems fair to me.

2015 Baseball Preview - AL East: Orioles have Fewer Flaws than the Rest of this Underwhelming Bunch

(By Bill Madden)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/scouting-al-east-orioles-flaws-rest-article-1.2173555

They lost me when they called Manny Machado our best hitter. Potentially maybe, but right now he's not in the same league as Adam Jones based on past and current performance.

I also believe that our overall record will be better than 87-75.

As an Orioles homer, I can see them winning between 95 and 102 games.

As an objective observer, I see them going about 91-71, or 92-70.

87-75 seems a little low.

Personally, I think this 2015 AL East Division race is gonna be a "dogfight". I just don't see the O's walking away by 12 games again. I think that all the teams in the division will "beat up" on each other. The Rays aren't as bad as most think they will be. Yanks will squeeze out every win possible from an aging ballclub (mostly thanks to Girrardi whom is a very good manager--like him or not). BoSox improved their team over the winter with a couple of "high-profile" signings. I also think their starting rotation is a bit better than is currently being given credit. Blue Jays have tremendous offensive potential, but good pitching usually beats good hitting. The O's have remained "steady to the course" as we venture into 2015. No long-term foolish contracts. Looking for "value" as a mid-major type organization. That approach has been successful for the Buck/Duquette era these past 3 seasons. I won't say the O's will win the AL East again this season, but I expect they will have a winning record and be right there in the playoff hunt.

Personally, I think this 2015 AL East Division race is gonna be a "dogfight". I just don't see the O's walking away by 12 games again. I think that all the teams in the division will "beat up" on each other. The Rays aren't as bad as most think they will be. Yanks will squeeze out every win possible from an aging ballclub (mostly thanks to Girrardi whom is a very good manager--like him or not). BoSox improved their team over the winter with a couple of "high-profile" signings. I also think their starting rotation is a bit better than is currently being given credit. Blue Jays have tremendous offensive potential, but good pitching usually beats good hitting. The O's have remained "steady to the course" as we venture into 2015. No long-term foolish contracts. Looking for "value" as a mid-major type organization. That approach has been successful for the Buck/Duquette era these past 3 seasons. I won't say the O's will win the AL East again this season, but I expect they will have a winning record and be right there in the playoff hunt.

I thought that last year, us, Boston, TB, even New York beating up on each other. And we ended up beating up on ALL of them. Thought 88 or 89 wins would win the Division. So I don't know crap! We'll see how this season plays out. :P

I thought that last year, us, Boston, TB, even New York beating up on each other. And we ended up beating up on ALL of them. Thought 88 or 89 wins would win the Division. So I don't know crap! We'll see how this season plays out. :P

Scott, I agree with your take on this situation. It REALLY is anybody's guess. As an Orioles fan for the past 45 years, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and and expecting the best. Why else to be an O's fan???

They lost me when they called Manny Machado our best hitter. Potentially maybe, but right now he's not in the same league as Adam Jones based on past and current performance.

Matt Wieters may be surprised to learn he had rotator cuff surgery, too.

As to the Orioles making "no significant additions," it's up to Travis Snider, Everth Cabrera, Wesley Wright et al. to prove Madden wrong.

He's a New York sportswriter.

You have to cut him a little slack.

As to the Orioles making ("no significant additions"), it's up to Travis Snider, Everth Cabrera, Wesley Wright et al. to prove Madden wrong.

Madden already has us winning the division by 4 games. So if we prove him wrong in that particular area ("no significant additions), and play even better than he projects, that would be super cool. :cool:

As previously stated, I also think that Madden underestimated us by projecting us to have an 87-75 record ...... even though that projection has us winning the division (in his eyes.)

I'm sorry but this is an issue I have to be that guy and speak up about. Cutting anyone who claims to be a reporter, journalist, or knowledgeable writer slack is the last thing we should be wanting to do. Mistakes like that are lazy and true journalism is dying.

All the guy has to do is Google "Matt Wieters injury". The Manny thing is his opinion, I guess, but it smacks of lazy ignorance. Adam Jones, the perennial All Star that hits in the middle of the Orioles' pennant-winning lineup. Hello? Manny wasn't even on the field half of last season.

And this is not me yelling at you, weams. There's just so much laziness in journalism right now, especially sports. We should not let up with our criticism of lazy writing done by paid professionals.

I know you were not yelling at me. That was Patrick!

He's a New York sportswriter.

You have to cut him a little slack.

I'm sorry, but this is an issue I have to be that guy and speak up about. Cutting anyone who claims to be a reporter, journalist, or knowledgeable writer slack is the last thing we should be wanting to do. Mistakes like that are lazy and true journalism is dying.

All the guy has to do is Google "Matt Wieters injury". The Manny thing is his opinion, I guess, but it smacks of lazy ignorance. Adam Jones, the perennial All Star that hits in the middle of the Orioles' pennant-winning lineup. Hello? Manny wasn't even on the field half of last season.

And this is not me yelling at you, weams. There's just so much laziness in journalism right now, especially sports. We should not let up with our criticism of lazy writing done by paid professionals.

I was kidding.

It was a dig at the fact that he is a New York sportswriter.

Yes, journalists can be very lazy.

[video=youtube;EUpXdv2oV3A]

Archived