Mora, Lowenstein, and Roenicke to Orioles Hall 2015

weams

Somewhat related to Gary Roenicke. I remember this well. Still not sure it was a good trade.

Incensed over losing pitcher Rudy May in a six-player deal he didn't know about, Earl Weaver quit Wednesday night as manager of the Baltimore Orioles. However, general manager Hank Peters refused to accept his resignation and Weaver withdrew it.

The incidents took place behind closed doors at the winter baseball meetings after the Orioles sent May, an 18-game winner this year, and two other pitcher, Randy Miller and Bryn Smith, to the Montreal Expos for pitchers Don Stanhouse and Joe Kerrian and outfielder Gary Roenicke.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1977/12/09/unconsulted-on-swap-weaver-quits-then-backs-off/545a7cc9-02b8-41e7-b9e2-c8cab02d530b/

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Don Stanhouse was an [expletive deleted]! He had us in trouble, had

the [expletive deleted] bases loaded, [expletive deleted] almost every

[expletive deleted] time he went out there. He like ta ruin my health

smokin' cigarettes and thank god we got Timmy Stoddard comin' in out da

bullpen right now stickin' the bats up their [expletive deleted]s. And

that's what it takes.

Somewhat related to Gary Roenicke. I remember this well. Still not sure it was a good trade.

Incensed over losing pitcher Rudy May in a six-player deal he didn't know about, Earl Weaver quit Wednesday night as manager of the Baltimore Orioles. However, general manager Hank Peters refused to accept his resignation and Weaver withdrew it.

The incidents took place behind closed doors at the winter baseball meetings after the Orioles sent May, an 18-game winner this year, and two other pitcher, Randy Miller and Bryn Smith, to the Montreal Expos for pitchers Don Stanhouse and Joe Kerrian and outfielder Gary Roenicke.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1977/12/09/unconsulted-on-swap-weaver-quits-then-backs-off/545a7cc9-02b8-41e7-b9e2-c8cab02d530b/

May 12

Miller 0

Smith 25

Stanhouse -1.5

Kerrigan -0.8

Roenicke 18

As much as I liked Roenicke the O's got worked over on that deal.

May 12

Miller 0

Smith 25

Stanhouse -1.5

Kerrigan -0.8

Roenicke 18

As much as I liked Roenicke the O's got worked over on that deal

Funny, I have no recollection whatsoever of Bryn Smith. If you had asked me if there was ever a major league player named Bryn Smith, I would have had to guess at the answer. Nor do I remember him as an Orioles prospect. Of course, in those days there was very little information about minor league players, unless you were an avid reader of The Sporting News, which I wasn't.

Funny, I have no recollection whatsoever of Bryn Smith. If you had asked me if there was ever a major league player named Bryn Smith, I would have had to guess at the answer. Nor do I remember him as an Orioles prospect. Of course, in those days there was very little information about minor league players, unless you were an avid reader of The Sporting News, which I wasn't.

I got SI, Sporting News and Baseball Digest.

I got SI, Sporting News and Baseball Digest.

I got SI, but they definitely weren't covering minor league baseball. I'd occasionally pick up a copy of the Sporting News, but didn't really read the minor league stuff. Dunno about Baseball Digest.

In those days, you might hear about a Don Baylor or a Bobby Grich who was tearing up AAA, but we had nowhere near the detailed information about AA and below that we have today.

I got SI, but they definitely weren't covering minor league baseball. I'd occasionally pick up a copy of the Sporting News, but didn't really read the minor league stuff. Dunno about Baseball Digest.

In those days, you might hear about a Don Baylor or a Bobby Grich who was tearing up AAA, but we had nowhere near the detailed information about AA and below that we have today.

s-l300.jpg

I loved it.

260-8.jpg

I remember Smith well from my early 80s elementary school card collecting days. But I had no idea he was a former Oriole prospect. He was just some guy on the Expos.

There's the Earl legend about him managing in the minors and doctoring the box scores he sent up each day so the Orioles didn't know their poor-fielding 3B was really playing first. Because Earl wanted to win. Even MLB teams didn't have access to a tiny fraction of the MiLB info you and I have today.

There's the Earl legend about him managing in the minors and doctoring the box scores he sent up each day so the Orioles didn't know their poor-fielding 3B was really playing first. Because Earl wanted to win. Even MLB teams didn't have access to a tiny fraction of the MiLB info you and I have today.

Earl. He was something.

Archived