Corey Patterson Takes Minor League Deal With Reds

oriolefaith

Good for Cory! I liked him. Not much on Jerry though!

Same here. I for one find it a bit hard to believe that Jerry hung around in the bigs as long as he has because he is not particularly strong at any aspect of the game. Kind of a Billy Ripken type of player.

I'm amazed that Corey Patterson could not get a major league deal. He is definitely not an upper-echelon major league center fielder by any means...but you would think that somebody could use a .260 average with 50 steals at the bottom of their lineup.

ive always liked corey alot, but hes shown through the years a reluctance to concede to the fact that hes just not a slugger.

plate discipline, playing to his weaknesses and not strengths (at the plate), and high price tag as well as boras has definately turned alot of people off to him.

im really not all that surprised it shook out this way for him, given the 07 fa market.

ive always liked corey alot, but hes shown through the years a reluctance to concede to the fact that hes just not a slugger.

plate discipline, playing to his weaknesses and not strengths (at the plate), and high price tag as well as boras has definately turned alot of people off to him.

im really not all that surprised it shook out this way for him, given the 07 fa market.

Welcome to the board, screaminjj. Just a reminder: make sure to use capital letters and punctuation in your posts. They're very hard to read otherwise. Check out the board rules for more info.

Thanks!

Same here. I for one find it a bit hard to believe that Jerry hung around in the bigs as long as he has because he is not particularly strong at any aspect of the game. Kind of a Billy Ripken type of player.

He's a very good defensive 2nd baseman, and he's learned to play the OF - like his brother.

I love how everyone here now says that Hairston isn't that good, but until they second he was no longer on the roster most people here were talking about how we had to keep the platoon between him and Roberts because he was too valuable to take out of our lineup.

Now we realize that says more about our lineup than Hairston.

I love how everyone here now says that Hairston isn't that good, but until they second he was no longer on the roster most people here were talking about how we had to keep the platoon between him and Roberts because he was too valuable to take out of our lineup.

While an O, Hairston was improving steadily from 2001 to 2004:

BA: .233, .268, .271, .303

OBP: .305, .329, .353, .378

SLG: .344, .376, .372, .397

Since then he has gone steadily down. Therefore, there is no inconsistency between thinking Jerry had some value in 2004 vs. thinking he doesn't have value now. I say this as someone who really liked Jerry.

dont think its too much a stretch to assume corey makes the team out of st.

whos penciled in as the opening cf for the reds at this point?

It will probably be Ryan Freel or Norris Hopper, with Jay Bruce not too far behind. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see Bruce make the club out of ST.

He's a very good defensive 2nd baseman, and he's learned to play the OF - like his brother.

I would say he is a good or slightly above average defensive second baseman but below average offensively. He is an average defensive outfielder with not much of an arm. He certainly doesn't hit well enough to be a starting outfielder nor second baseman. He always bothered me with his overswinging. For those who won't know what I mean by that he always appeared to swing too hard as if he fancied himself a power hitter which is extremely funny considering he might weigh in at a buck 60. Again, it amazes me he has hung around this long, as players like him are a dime a dozen.

Not me. I wasn't posting much here then but over on the Sun forums I got into raging debates with Hairston supporters who favored him over Roberts or wanted a platoon. I always thought Roberts vastly superior to Hairston. Not only could Roberts switch hit and steal more bases but he is a better fielder and never had the overswing that Lil Jerry handicapped himself with for some unknown reason (I know he had to be counseled about it, because it was dumb).

Not me. I wasn't posting much here then but over on the Sun forums I got into raging debates with Hairston supporters who favored him over Roberts or wanted a platoon. I always thought Roberts vastly superior to Hairston. Not only could Roberts switch hit and steal more bases but he is a better fielder and never had the overswing that Lil Jerry handicapped himself with for some unknown reason (I know he had to be counseled about it, because it was dumb).

I always rooted for Mike Moriarty.

Archived