March 4th versus Cardinals

baseballnelie

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally, Moore's not playing in an exhibition game and that's supposed to mean something? I guess Terrero is blocking Markakis, by that logic.

The two situations aren't remotely comparable. There is no chance of Terrero beating out Markakis. But Moore is fighting for playing time against six veteran players. I count seven players for 3B, LF, DH and First: Mora, Payton, Scott, Millar, Huff, Gibbons-and Scott Moore. He is a rookie, and in the hidebound Orioles' way of doing things, the veterans will play because Trembley makes those decisions, not MacPhail.

The only way he can effect change is to unload at least two of the above. Otherwise, Moore's guaranteed nothing, even if he does well.

The two situations aren't remotely comparable. There is no chance of Terrero beating out Markakis. But Moore is fighting for playing time against six veteran players. I count seven players for 3B, LF, DH and First: Mora, Payton, Scott, Millar, Huff, Gibbons-and Scott Moore. He is a rookie, and in the hidebound Orioles' way of doing things, the veterans will play because Trembley makes those decisions, not MacPhail.

The only way he can effect change is to unload at least two of the above. Otherwise, Moore's guaranteed nothing, even if he does well.

I actually agree with much of what you're saying. I just don't think that one game really means anything and that you might be reading too much into it. As long as Millar is on the team, he needs to get some at bats in spring training. As long as Mora is on the team, he's going to be the starting 3Bman and needs some AB's, well. Luke Scott is playing left, and I think you wouldn't want to change that either. So, I just wouldn't take too much from this one game.

I would love to see them dump Gibbons, alltogether. I've just accepted that it's not all that realistic an expectation. If Payton leaves with Roberts in a Cubs trade, I'll be thrilled. But, it won't be the end of the world if Moore starts the season in Norfolk and moves up as MacPhail is able to clean up the 25 man roster.

But you were making some point about Moore not playing in the exhibition game. That means nothing. Through the first 5 games he had more ABs than anyone else on the team. He is being given plenty of opportunity so far to show what he can do.

Archived