Some stuff

bigbird

Maybe Gallagher, Cedeno, Murton, Veal, and Epatt/Marshall for Roberts and Payton (w/ cash)?

I'm starting to think that's going to be the deal. Although, I have a feeling AM really likes EPat AND Marshall. I'm starting to really believe that Murton won't be involved. Gallagher, Cedeno, and Veal seem to be the first 3 players that are definitely in. I think this is similar to the Bedard deal where they agreed on the first 3 players relatively quickly. MacPhail, I bet, wants Marshall and EPat as the 4th and 5th players and Hendry probably wants to only give up Murton. We'll see who blinks. I really don't believe MacPhail will.

I really like what I see in MacPhail and I am confident with the fact that he will say "here's what it takes to get Roberts - take it or leave it." If Hendry wants Roberts bad enough, he'll give in. If he doesn't, BRob will be an O come opening day.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we get Lohse, don't be surprised to see them both in the rotation.

It would be a crime if for all of the off-season stockpiling of pitching, on top of our usual batch of prospects/suspects... both Lohse and Trax were in the rotation joining D-Cab and Guthrie from last year. That'd leave one rotation spot...for a number of guys who we need to observe and decide whether they'll sink or swim at the major league level. Here's hoping Lohse doesn't "settle" for the O's, or hoping for the young arms to force their way into the picture instead of journeymen placeholders.

Why would they be sending their physicals if a deal wasn't close ???

I am sort of wondering the same thing. Roberts has played very sparingly in the first week of games, which suggests to me that they are minimizingthe risk of injury while deciding what to do.

My guess - it happens before the end of the weekend, or not at all.

With Soriano's injury looking to be more serious, I doubt that the Cubs are as anxious to deal Murton. If Gallegher comes back in the deal I doubt we sign Lohse. I think the hold up is over the 4th/5th prospect, and how much money comes with Payton.

I don't think the O's are interested in Lohse for the number of wins he might bring. They are looking at him as a commodity just like Trachsel was last year. They can wait until July-August and then flip him for prospects. They like how the got Moore and the want to do it again and again and again.

If they can get Lohse for 1/3 they will do it. They will just push their young pitchers down in the minors or maybe make that trade for a good young SS.

I believe that the Cubs will blink.

Nah. I think the Cubs' situation is somewhat analogous to that of the Dodgers when they were negotiating the Bedard trade. They could have had Erik no problem, but their division is so weak (like the NL Central) that getting another impact player wasn't going to improve their chances enough to justify giving up some of their future. The Orioles are at a distinct disadvantage in that they're competing in the absolutely toughest division in history, but trying to do business with teams that are guaranteed to be competative within their own divisions no matter how bad a roster they field.

That is a very good question a deal must be close why would the Orioles give medical records on roberts and Payton if a deal is not close.The Orioles top scout was at the Cubs game today and the Cubs scout is stalking Roberts so maybe a deal by this weekend.What I here the deal will be Gallagher,Cedeno, marshall and either Veal or Ceda.

I think Marshall goes in your rotation with Gallagher getting a few starts in AAA thats just my opinion.

If he's in the deal I agree 100%. I think MacPhail is doing all he can to not rush our young arms and involving Marshall in a deal would help do that.

I think Oriole fans are going to like Marshall he knows how to pitch he is anywere between 87to91 with his fastball he has an excellent curve and pretty good cutter.He does put base runners on but he usually gets out of trouble.He gets a lot of groung ball outs.He also is LH.

So both teams are denying a deal is close, yet we have articles written about scouts attending games, radio reports that talks are heating up and insiders here are hearing things.

The following comments are directed at both teams...This is ridiculous, make the trade or move on. There are no contract clauses to work around, no extentions to negotiate yet they act like they are negotiating a middle east peace treaty.:confused:

So both teams are denying a deal is close, yet we have articles written about scouts attending games, radio reports that talks are heating up and insiders here are hearing things.

The following comments are directed at both teams...This is ridiculous, make the trade or move on. There are no contract clauses to work around, no extentions to negotiate yet they act like they are negotiating a middle east peace treaty.:confused:

AM doesn't get a mulligan if he gets it wrong.

I say let him take his time and come up with the right/best answers - whatever that might be.

Nah. I think the Cubs' situation is somewhat analogous to that of the Dodgers when they were negotiating the Bedard trade. They could have had Erik no problem, but their division is so weak (like the NL Central) that getting another impact player wasn't going to improve their chances enough to justify giving up some of their future. The Orioles are at a distinct disadvantage in that they're competing in the absolutely toughest division in history, but trying to do business with teams that are guaranteed to be competative within their own divisions no matter how bad a roster they field.

The NL Central may be weak for the moment, but the NL West is not. The NL West was the most competitive division last year, not the AL east.

From that perspective, the Dodgers arguably needed Bedard a lot more than the Cubs. But the Dodgers were able to sign Koreda, and the Dodgers also have one of the best minor league systems in baseball, which should produce some excellent pitchers this year and next. The Cubs, on the other hand, did not need Bedard as much since their rotation is mostly set, and, like you say, they arguably play in a fairly weak division.

However, I think the NL Central could emerge as one of the stronger divisions as the Brewers and Reds mature, and if the Cardinals and Astros can find their stuff again.

The Cubs can not assume they have the division won with or without the best players they can get. The Brewers may be the best team in the NL Central this year, the Reds should be improving, and the Cardinals and Astros could surprise some people with comeback seasons. The Pirates are really the only team with no chance to make real noise in the division.

Archived