The Time to Make a Decision on Chris Davis is Now

brianod

I hope Chris hits 50 this year...we are not getting him even if he hits 25, so I would like to see 50. The longer Wieters is out, the better chance we might get a showcase one year deal, but I still think that is very unlikely. The one I want though is Chen. Hope we can make a serious play for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope Chris hits 50 this year...we are not getting him even if he hits 25, so I would like to see 50. The longer Wieters is out, the better chance we might get a showcase one year deal, but I still think that is very unlikely. The one I want though is Chen. Hope we can make a serious play for him.

I would love to get Chen back, but it is not really going to happen if Jimenez is worth the money this year. Next year's rotation is 4/5 set with Bundy, Wright, McFarland, Wilson, and Davies right there.

I could really see a Travis Snider/Steve Pearce 1B platoon next year.

Wieters - value wise I would think that that money could spent in better ways with Caleb Joseph, Chris O'Brien, Chance Sisco, Alex Murphy, and Jonah Heim in the system.

This organization is very deep right now and the off-season is likely to be fascinating.

I get where you are coming from, but what is the harm in asking? If you ask out the most popular girl in school, she might say yes but if you don't ask her, she'll never say yes...

Asked. Been answered. Next.

All I care about is my pick.

I doubt another team pays Davis that much more than what the O's would be willing to pay to keep him. GMs don't see Chris Davis in the same league as Adrian Gonzalez or even Prince Fielder. This is a guy that slumped badly last year and then was banned 50 games. If the Red Sox or Giants want to significantly overpay Davis then let them.

Take a look at the 2016 class (*=team option). He is going to be the top 1B available. Any team with a 1B opening is going to bid on him. He won't get Adrian Gonzalez money, but I would guess at least 4 years, $60M if he continues to have a decent year this year. Could push 5 years/$100M if he comes close to his 2012-13.

Chris Davis

Edwin Encarnacion *

Garrett Jones

Adam Lind *

Justin Morneau *

Mike Napoli

David Ortiz *

Steve Pearce

Mark Reynolds

I would love to get Chen back, but it is not really going to happen if Jimenez is worth the money this year. Next year's rotation is 4/5 set with Bundy, Wright, McFarland, Wilson, and Davies right there.

I could really see a Travis Snider/Steve Pearce 1B platoon next year.

Wieters - value wise I would think that that money could spent in better ways with Caleb Joseph, Chris O'Brien, Chance Sisco, Alex Murphy, and Jonah Heim in the system.

This organization is very deep right now and the off-season is likely to be fascinating.

All right handers, except TJ who is unlikely, imho, to be the 5 guy. One lefty starter would be good to have.

Anyone know if there has been any talk of Paredes trying 1B? It would be nice to see if there is anything there.I wouldn't be surprised if Wieters does not sign a long term deal this coming season with anyone. Britt implies he won't be back in the majors before June. Even then it wouldn't be surprising if he underperforms. I could see him back with the O's for one more year trying to regain his value.

I've considered this too. It may be in his best interest to just accept the QO and try to build his value back up.

I doubt another team pays Davis that much more than what the O's would be willing to pay to keep him. GMs don't see Chris Davis in the same league as Adrian Gonzalez or even Prince Fielder. This is a guy that slumped badly last year and then was banned 50 games. If the Red Sox or Giants want to significantly overpay Davis then let them.

If he hits 30 plus homers this year his price tag will be high.

I disagree on the Fielder comparison. IMO, I'd rather have Davis and his HR's and high strikeout rate than a guy who is going to eat his way out of the league in a few years.

Overall, I think that a team will most likely overpay for Davis because of his power potential.

I don't expect the Orioles to get involved in a bidding war for his services, and I don't blame Davis for going after the big payday.

Twenty-Five games. He will be paid significantly more than the Orioles will wish to.

Take a look at the 2016 class (*=team option). He is going to be the top 1B available. Any team with a 1B opening is going to bid on him. He won't get Adrian Gonzalez money, but I would guess at least 4 years, $60M if he continues to have a decent year this year. Could push 5 years/$100M if he comes close to his 2012-13.

Chris Davis

Edwin Encarnacion *

Garrett Jones

Adam Lind *

Justin Morneau *

Mike Napoli

David Ortiz *

Steve Pearce

Mark Reynolds

Wouldn't mind having Encarnacion; and Adam Lind is hitting very well so far this year playing for a bad team. It's not like Chris Davis will be the only option next year for the O's; and it's not like it's a foregone conclusion that Davis will continue to do well this year.

No one has ever done that. No one that works for Scott Boras ever will.

Then if 2015 proves to be a down year for him, why would any team pay big money over multiple years for Matt Wieters? I doubt even a stupid team like the Rangers or the Angels would do it.

Wouldn't mind having Encarnacion; and Adam Lind is hitting very well so far this year playing for a bad team. It's not like Chris Davis will be the only option next year for the O's; and it's not like it's a foregone conclusion that Davis will continue to do well this year.

Lind and Encarnacion both have team options that will likely be taken. So the list is really Garret Jones, Napoli, Steve Pearce, and Mark Reynolds. Chris is going to be the top guy of that group.

Archived