Update on Matt Wieters - Looking like June 4th Return

Redskins Rick

Obviously as an O's fan, I hope he comes back and makes the All-Star game because of how awesome a month he had! However, I worry that he's not going to contribute positively this year. Arm strength aside, he did not have a single hit in spring training. That worries me.

:agree:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to disappoint you but he had 2 hits tonight and threw a guy out at 2B.

Not sure, he really threw out the guy to 2nd.

According to Melewski, he one hopped the throw to 2nd and some in the press box, felt the runner over slid the bag.

Heck, I am not trying to be a debbie downer. and I love Matt.

But, I am hoping to see a better and stronger arm throw to 2nd before I will be convinced he is healthy again.

Wieters threw out a runner trying to steal in the top of the eighth when he got Erie second baseman Curt Powell. His throw one-hopped shortstop Ozzie Martinez, who made a nice play on the back end. Without the benefit of a replay, it was hard to tell if the throw was in time or if the runner overslid the bag as some press box observers felt. It looked in time. And Wieters came close to picking a runner off second base in the ninth. Either way, it was officially a caught stealing.

Him hitting AA ball means nothing. This is a guy that put up the best season in the history of the minors or whatever and then has had large stretches of being completely underwhelming while being in the majors.

I agree with most of your post, but it does mean "something." I'd much rather he be hitting .500 on June 3rd and we recall him to the majors on the 4th than him come in with a .120 batting average and not catching anybody stealing.

Not sure, he really threw out the guy to 2nd.

According to Melewski, he one hopped the throw to 2nd and some in the press box, felt the runner over slid the bag.

Heck, I am not trying to be a debbie downer. and I love Matt.

But, I am hoping to see a better and stronger arm throw to 2nd before I will be convinced he is healthy again.

Him hitting AA ball means nothing. This is a guy that put up the best season in the history of the minors or whatever and then has had large stretches of being completely underwhelming while being in the majors.

Hitting in some AA rehab games means very little about how Matt will do when he is back in the majors, but I'd still rather see 2-4 than 0-4. As to his arm, I'd rather see him throw out a runner than have the runner be safe. It certainly couldn't have been a bad throw, even if it wasn't his best.

Bottom line, he's going to be down in the minors for the next 9 days or so, so it's not like this one game means too much. Hopefully, he gets his sea legs and is fully ready when he returns. That's a longer minor league rehab than we've seen for a lot of other guys on the club.

Hitting in some AA rehab games means very little about how Matt will do when he is back in the majors, but I'd still rather see 2-4 than 0-4. As to his arm, I'd rather see him throw out a runner than have the runner be safe. It certainly couldn't have been a bad throw, even if it wasn't his best.

Bottom line, he's going to be down in the minors for the next 9 days or so, so it's not like this one game means too much. Hopefully, he gets his sea legs and is fully ready when he returns. That's a longer minor league rehab than we've seen for a lot of other guys on the club.

While, one hops are not always a bad throw, they are sometimes indication of a weak throw to 2nd.

He is supposed to be with the club working out today and back in Bowie tomorrow and behind the plate.

Archived