Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

On 8/6/2018 at 3:51 PM, TonySoprano said:

I was in the luncheonette of the Trailways Bus station in downtown Boston when Bucky hit that homer. Everyone had been listening to the game and it felt like the whole town suddenly fell silent and sank a few inches.

Watching this video, I realize I had forgotten that Dent had almost needed to leave the game after fouling the previous pitch off his left foot. And since I was listening via radio, I didn't see that Dent was choking up on the bat that much. It makes his Weaver Special even more improbable.

Mike Torrez, who was pitching a shutout, probably lost a little focus or rhythm while the Yankees trainer was spraying Dent's ankle.

That's our greatest centerfielder Paul Blair giving the longest, tightest hug to Bucky as he makes his way to the dugout.

It’s time to retire this thread, or at least put it to sleep.  It has lost all relevance.  We could win every game the rest of the year, and the Yankees could lose every game, and we’d still finish 15 games behind them.  In the real world, we’re 45.5 games behind them and will probably be 50+ games behind them when the season ends.   The Yankees currently have a 99.9% chance to make the playoffs.  So it really doesn’t matter at all if they happen to lose a game on one of the rare days where we win one.     Wake me up when it actually matters.  

It's true that these events don't affect the outcome of the season and that there's no longer a reason for elation when we gain a game on the NYYs. But I still like to see "Orioles win; Yankees lose" days noted as a sort of nostalgia and reminder --  I tend to forget that it wasn't that long ago that they did matter -- and as a tiny flicker of optimism that they might matter again within a few years. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

After they just swept us in a 4 game series I don't think them losing to another team and us breaking a 7 game losing streak is all the reason to celebrate.  

I celebrate every MFY loss. Even when the Orioles also lose. This year, the best case scenario is "Orioles lose; MFY lose."

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

It matters to Yankee fans and broadcasters and talk show hosts. They get really upset and go on and on each time the O's beat them, though not necessarily for reasons we'd like.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I love beating the Yankees no matter how bad we are.    Hence:  

But the fact that the Yankees happened to lose to some other team on a day when we actually won a game has lost any significance to me.

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

It matters to Yankee fans, and broadcasters, and talk show hosts.

They get really upset and go on and on each time the O's beat them, though not necessarily for reasons we'd like.

4 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I celebrate every MFY loss ........ even when the Orioles also lose.

This year, the best case scenario is (usually) "Orioles lose, MFY lose."

o

It was fun for me to watch the Yankees lose from the stands, while periodically turning my head to the right to see the electronic scoreboard updates for the Orioles-Blue Jays game.

o

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I love beating the Yankees no matter how bad we are.    Hence:  

But the fact that the Yankees happened to lose to some other team on a day when we actually won a game has lost any significance to me.

Got it--I understand!

On 8/27/2018 at 11:47 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 27th)

Orioles win, Yankees lose.

The White Sox' 3rd baseman had a SUPERB game defensively. ) B|

o

o

(AUGUST 29th)

Orioles win, Yankees lose.

The Orioles SWEPT the Blue Jays.

The Yankees came oh-so-close to getting SWEPT by the White Sox ........ last night, they rallied for 3 runs in the final 2 innings to pull out that game.

o

o

(AUGUST 30th)

Orioles idle.

Yankees lose.

Dellin Betances had NEVER ceded 2 home runs in one inning ........ until tonight. The Yankee fans booed him off of the field after he recorded the 3rd out of the inning.

o

• 3 weeks later...