@ VA 3/09 7:30 pm

Are you trying to be funny? Why don't you do yourself a favor and go wiki UCLA after Wooden left? Or UNC after Smith left? Or Indiana after Knight (other than one flukey year)? Or Kentucky after Rupp? You're embarrassing yourself with these statements. Most of these schools had a letdown after those coaches left.

I never wrote that we would never again win if Williams left the school. I merely wrote that it isn't a simple thing to find someone better than Gary Williams on the open market. I stand by that statement. I realize it is much, much easier to attack my logic by hyperbolizing my statement into something is isn't, but it isn't very intellectually honest.

No, I'm not trying to be funny...are you?

Indiana made the Nat'l Title game. UNC had a down year or two but I believe Bill Guthridge had them in the Final Four like two years after Smith left. Kentucky won a National Title I think within 5 years after Rupp left. After Wooden left (and this I did not know) UCLA made 2 finals fours in six years.

So yea, I looked it up. You're insanely arrogant and often don't know waht you're talking about. Yum.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst part about this game was the look of defeat that the players got with like 2 minutes left. They just looked like they quit. Now, I'm not Gary fan...but he didn't deserve that. He's trying to win a game that his players had determined was a lost cause. They stopped hustling. They stopped boxing out. They stopped defending. The only player who was showing emotion at the end was Osby. Everyone else looked like they were ready to hop on the bus. That was an embarrassing defeat.

Why expect that?

Lol, hey joker, why don't you read my next post and actually decide for yourself? Clearly all the examples I gave show that once those top coaches left, the programs continued to do well -- or at least better than what Gary is doing RIGHT NOW.

But why expect that? You have your blindly optimistic stances, and you shudder whenever anyone questions one of your mediocre teams. Open your eyes, the Terps aren't good. The O's aren't good. You and people like you that blindly defend them only adds to the passive nature of the teams themselves.

No, I'm not trying to be funny...are you?

Indiana made the Nat'l Title game. UNC had a down year or two but I believe Bill Guthridge had them in the Final Four like two years after Smith left. Kentucky won a National Title I think within 5 years after Rupp left. After Wooden left (and this I did not know) UCLA made 2 finals fours in six years.

So yea, I looked it up. You're insanely arrogant and often don't know waht you're talking about. Yum.

Try the next year. Guts coached 3 years, and he went to 2 final fours and had 3 tourney appearances.

Lol, hey joker, why don't you read my next post and actually decide for yourself? Clearly all the examples I gave show that once those top coaches left, the programs continued to do well -- or at least better than what Gary is doing RIGHT NOW.

But why expect that? You have your blindly optimistic stances, and you shudder whenever anyone questions one of your mediocre teams. Open your eyes, the Terps aren't good. The O's aren't good. You and people like you that blindly defend them only adds to the passive nature of the teams themselves.

I don't think the Orioles will be good this year. I've said that. On this board. So maybe someone else needs to get their research straight.

And please don't complain about me just because I refuse to give up on a season. I know that is something a rational, logical person like you is willing to do, along with throwing a Hall-of-Fame basketball coach under the team bus, but not everyone can be as good a fan as you are.

What's funny here is that VaTech is claiming the Terps will be WORSE if we let Gary go, and then attacks the examples I provided. Meanwhile, those very examples actually did BETTER than what Gary is doing right now!!!

What a joke. What an absolute joke.

Like Indiana after Bob Knight?

What's funny here is that VaTech is claiming the Terps will be WORSE if we let Gary go, and then attacks the examples I provided. Meanwhile, those very examples actually did BETTER than what Gary is doing right now!!!

What a joke. What an absolute joke.

Obviously, no one knows what will happen if Gary stays or goes. This same coach that is getting blasted is the same coach who dragged the MD program out of NCAA violation purgatory, and went to 2 Final Fours and won a title.

Do I think he needs to go? Not necessarily, but I think he has to change the way he coaches if he is going to stay. For example, the flex offense needs to go if he has no one who can be money on a mid-range jumper. Playing zone would be another example.

Yeah. They then fired that coach, desperately sold their soul to the devil, and now still could face NCAA sanctions even after firing HIM.

Bob Knight was a great coach who got fired after winning only because of some "questionable" actions that had nothing to do with basketball. Gary Williams would get fired for losing and losing and losing. Pretty much anyone could win more than him at this program at this point.

Obviously, no one knows what will happen if Gary stays or goes. This same coach that is getting blasted is the same coach who dragged the MD program out of NCAA violation purgatory, and went to 2 Final Fours and won a title.

Do I think he needs to go? Not necessarily, but I think he has to change the way he coaches if he is going to stay. For example, the flex offense needs to go if he has no one who can be money on a mid-range jumper. Playing zone would be another example.

I don't know that he dragged them out of anything. He took over a nationally renowned program and its low point. And, when the program got off of the sanctions, they improved. Sure, he had something to do with it. But, when you take over at the low point, any improvement is magnified.

How about this? Gary needs to recruit better and motivate his players a little harder. In return, the players need to take that knowledge that Gary imparts to them and actually apply it during the game. Both the coaches and players need to improve, not just one aspect. If neither of those things happen, then we should start talking about a coaching change.

You can't possibly be this silly. The proper way to examine what happens to a school when they replace a legendary coach with a new coach is to examine that school's record before and after the coach in question. Comparing UNC to MD to prove Williams is replaceable is so pretty poor logic.

Lol, fine. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. The point is, these so-called "inferior replacements" that you're so freaking scared of all did better than Gary is doing RIGHT now as soon as they took over!

You can't argue with that. Each and every one of those coaches that took over did more with their respective programs than 3 NITs in 4 years.

Keep being arrogant and proven wrong, it suits you.

Archived