Righthander Chaz Roe

weams

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's one of the most valuable players on the team. He's very good and he is not arbitration eligible until 2018. So we have a good, dirt-cheap set-up man for three more seasons, and a cost-controlled pitcher for a few years after that.

Roster crunches may come and go for the rest of the season, but Dan Duquette understands the economics of being a mid-market team, and there is no way that he will let Chaz Roe slip away. Same goes for Jimmy Paredes.

Was thinking the same thing. He's somehow filling the Miller role. I don't know how but he is.

Was thinking the same thing. He's somehow filling the Miller role. I don't know how but he is.

Gets the lefties and righties out. Has the wipeout slider. Maybe even more of a wipeout. Eligible as a FA in 2021.

It's funny how we can watch the roster construction process produce guys like Roe and O'Day, showing how great bullpens are built relatively cheaply, but it only takes a 5-inning losing streak to get thirty-seven threads on Andrew Miller and whatever he had for lunch today. I hope to god the team's social media intern knows to ignore people with red pips when reading the board.

Not only a great reliever but a funny guy. ;)

The way he pitches is exactly how Gausman should be pitching as he attacks hitters agressively and seems to get ahead in counts most of the time so batters can't sit on a pitch. It would behoove Gausman to watch and learn from this guy who has nothing handed to him! He even said he is working on another pitch (straight change) right now (during the season) so it can be done!

Interesting article about Chaz Roe and his slider from Baseball Prospectus:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=26800

From the article:

All in all, Chaz Roe did an impressive thing. The masterpiece that inspired this post featured more than double the normal movement of Roe's average slider, which resulted in a memorable reaction from Russell Martin. In the grand scheme of things, the pitch wasn't as impressive at it may have seemed at first blush, and it likely won't end the season as the no. 1 pitch in terms of horizontal movement. What it had was the perfect storm of circumstances amplifying its inherent aesthetic appeal. It wasn't like the Bard pitch in that nobody has thrown anything like it before or since. It is what it is, and what it is is a really fun pitch to watch.

I wonder if Roe will get a chance in the future? I have a feeling that if we were short on proven MLB starting pitchers (like we were when Miguel came up in 2012) that Roe would have gotten a chance to start this year given what he has shown out of the pen.

Although he hasn't pitched more than 100 innings since 2010 (he had 99 innings in 2011).

I wonder if Roe will get a chance in the future? I have a feeling that if we were short on proven MLB starting pitchers (like we were when Miguel came up in 2012) that Roe would have gotten a chance to start this year given what he has shown out of the pen.

Although he hasn't pitched more than 100 innings since 2010 (he had 99 innings in 2011).

:scratchchinhmm:

I dunno but when you are compared to Shakespeare, you might just have something! (See BP article above)

"All in all, Chaz Roe did an impressive thing. The masterpiece that inspired this post featured more than double the normal movement of Roe's average slider, which resulted in a memorable reaction from Russell Martin. In the grand scheme of things, the pitch wasn't as impressive at it may have seemed at first blush, and it likely won't end the season as the no. 1 pitch in terms of horizontal movement. What it had was the perfect storm of circumstances amplifying its inherent aesthetic appeal. It wasn't like the Bard pitch in that nobody has thrown anything like it before or since. It is what it is, and what it is is a really fun pitch to watch."

Doubtful. He can't go back to the minors to stretch out as a starter. Is also on the older side. Might as well take the value you can get during prime years.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived