Righthander Chaz Roe

weams

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe how all the experts hear are knocking this guy as a fluke when all he's done is pitch scoreless baseball over more than a half dozen outings. Can't we show some respect?

There is nothing to show that he is truly this good. It is a great hot streak and I hope they ride it as long as they can. I don't know why you think the two are mutually exclusive.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I think the comments in this thread are too harsh. At his low salary, Roe could be a very functional member of a ML bullpen assuming one big thing - his command has to stay where it has been so far. When I look at his minor league numbers, I see a guy that has been pretty hard to hit since he was converted to relief. His issues seem to revolve around command/walks. So far, his command has been pretty good at the ML and it was obviously good at AAA this year. Maybe he has learned to control his stuff.

Regarding his stuff, I see good late movement on his 2 seamer. At 92-94, that pitch can't be a lot of fun to square up. So far this season at the ML level, he has thrown 100 2 seamers, 73 for strikes. Only 6% of those hits have turned into line drives and 81% into ground balls. That tells you he is getting really nice late downward movement. The batter isn't missing the pitch much, but he isn't hitting it with any authority either. If you compare his velocity charts from 2013 to 2015, he is throwing this pitch just slightly harder, but more importantly his speed variance has more than doubled. He appears to have learned not to try to throw with max effort on every pitch.

His slider has also been good. He has thrown is 68 times for 43 strikes. He is getting a swinging strike on this pitch 18% of the time. Of the pitches put in play, 71% are on the ground.

His changeup is a show me pitch. His 4 seamer is there just to keep guys honest and occasionally try to catch hitters looking at a strike.

I'm not a big fan of his heat map against lefties. He needs to learn to get up and in and down and away more. I like his heat map against righties.

When I look at his results so far, I see Ryan Webb with a better slider at a lower price. Maybe his command will desert him or he will start throwing flat sliders in the middle of the zone, but thus far I see a valuable, cheap cog in a ML bullpen. I would be very hesitant to ship him out and lose him on waivers.

Seems like a very astute assertion.

Looks to me like another guy who has found new life as a relief pitcher after washing out as a starter. Of course he can't continue to put up 0.75 ERA, but he has had a decent period of success as a reliever going back to 2012. It's possible that he sticks in the majors. I could see him taking Tommy Hunter's spot next year as a 7th inning guy. Webb (who is pitching well with Cleveland) does seem like a good comp.

Buck on Chaz:

"He really got everybody's attention in the spring as a backup on road trips, the way he approached it," Showalter said. "Some of the guys figure out what's going on. He's kind of at that stage of his career. You've heard me talk about those 28-, 32-year-old guys. He's been on both sides of the mountain. He knows when something's green and not green. He boarded every bus we took, it seemed like, and got everybody's attention.

"The good thing about it, there are other guys in Norfolk and Bowie doing the same thing."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/06/updating-gonzalez-and-wrapping-up-a-1-0-win.html

Looks to me like another guy who has found new life as a relief pitcher after washing out as a starter. Of course he can't continue to put up 0.75 ERA, but he has had a decent period of success as a reliever going back to 2012. It's possible that he sticks in the majors. I could see him taking Tommy Hunter's spot next year as a 7th inning guy. Webb (who is pitching well with Cleveland) does seem like a good comp.

This. He is probably overperforming but at the cost it is well worth it. One of my goals this year was that the team would have new bullpen pitchers step up this year so the bullpen wouldn't be full of rookies next year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The guy has roughly 30+ career innings pitched in the majors. His minor league numbers are encouraging since being converted to a reliever are impressive. He seems like the best option as our 7th inning guy at this point.

o

(vs. YANKEES, 6/13)

Roe again got some very big outs tonight, and another W for his efforts.

2.33 scoreless innings overall, which helped save the rest of the bullpen in yet another short outing by an Orioles starter.

Still not convinced by his stuff. His slider seems to hang even when he throws it for strikes. I can see why he didn't make it as a starter. Flaherty bailed him out of a tough spot last night. The one thing he has is fastball command. Throws strikes, doesn't make mistakes. Only 1 HR allowed and 2.3 BB/9. 3.4 BB/9 in the minors, however. Seems kind of like TJ last year. Started off as a mop up guy, but has rather quickly become a trusted member of the bullpen.

Archived