De Aza DFA

Can_of_corn

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that is shocking. How often is a veteran hitter DFA'd after playing in a team's six most recent games (starting five)? I wonder if something happened behind the scenes, maybe they have a trade worked out already. It is unlike the Orioles to flush nearly $4 million down the toilet.

Especially, since they are such penny pinchers. :)

De Aza is the type of guy that can play well for spurts, but can go ice cold for awhile, too.

I don't think the part-time playing helped him, but he has proven himself someone short of league average offensively over the last few years. He served the O's well in 2014, but has done little outside his 3 HRs in 2015. I really hope we see more of Snider moving forward.

I would love to see Snider and Pearce nearly every day in the corners with Young as a pinch hitter (getting starts in place of Davis or Snider against LHPs) and Lough as a defensive replacement/pinch runner.

I have no agenda vs Duquette, but I think it's fair to say that his decisions with De Aza and Matusz this winter were miscalculations.

Definitely fair to say that. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, those resources would have been better allocated elsewhere. I am more forgiving of De Aza than Matusz because he couldn't have expected Jimmy Paredes to have (deservedly so) 150+ plate appearances in the first two months of the season.

Quite the limb you went out on. ;)

At least they beat him in arbitration.

Yeah, but it's also not monday morning quarterbacking.....he's the one who went out on a limb to bring these guys back. Sure would have been nice to use that combined salary elsewhere.

<iframe height="163" title="Twitter Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 500px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: static; min-width: 220px; max-width: 100%;" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

Interesting. I thought it was an interesting choice to tender him a contract this winter, given his overall poor performance prior to the trade last year. But I was at least somewhat hopeful that he'd be an average-plus glove in a corner and an adequate platoon bat. But he hasn't produced, even if it is just 120 PAs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him catch on with another team and do somewhat better.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Yeah, but it's also not monday morning quarterbacking.....he's the one who went out on a limb to bring these guys back. Sure would have been nice to use that combined salary elsewhere.

I figured both were non-tender canidates.

Then again I am not big on paying for 0-1 win level production.

I must say, I respect the Orioles for making the right move in keeping Lough over De Aza, given the salary considerations.

And the fact that Lough is controlled for next season.

Hopefully Snider can break out with more consistent playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived