De Aza DFA

Can_of_corn

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I figured both were non-tender canidates.

Then again I am not big on paying for 0-1 win level production.

That may explain Matusz, but that doesn't explain why you wouldn't tender De Aza. By fWAR he has been worth 2.5, 2.7, 2.3 and 1.5 wins the last four years, hardly 0-1 win level production.

I figured both were non-tender canidates.

Then again I am not big on paying for 0-1 win level production.

There is almost never a shortage of 0-1 win platoon, utility, AAAA talent at the $500k price point. I know it's hard to detach yourself from your guys in real life, but in OOTP I pretty much non-tender every Flaherty, De Aza, Young, Matusz, Brach type when they'll cost more than a couple $million.

It could also be viewed that the Orioles are getting a steal in value with Paredes. Nobody saw that coming. I am sure the Orioles were planning on using the DH to give the OF's at bats and Paredes in a good way messed that up.

That may explain Matusz, but that doesn't explain why you wouldn't tender De Aza. By fWAR he has been worth 2.5, 2.7, 2.3 and 1.5 wins the last four years, hardly 0-1 win level production.

He played poorly this year. Like he did the beginning of last year. It's just a thing.

2014 was his worst year since becoming a regular, he's 31, and his OBP has declined four consecutive years. You'd have to get a full scouting write-up, but it's not inconceivable that he's in decline and the next number after 2.7, 2.3, 1.5... is bad.

De Aza was always a head scratcher. The FO was buzzing about Alvarez being close to ML ready. He didn't even factor into this and yet we still DFA De Aza. And we went public about not trying to avoid arbitration with De Aza, as if we had a gripe. And yet we brought in Snider. I can't make sense of it....unless the idea was throwing a few guys at the problem to see if one of them stuck...until Alvarez was ready.

Does this mean there's a chance to have a good, long stint with our own DeVito/Schwartzenegger platoon of Lough and Delmon?

Well, not today at least. Neither are in the lineup.

De Aza was always a head scratcher. The FO was buzzing about Alvarez being close to ML ready. He didn't even factor into this and yet we still DFA De Aza. And we went public about not trying to avoid arbitration with De Aza, as if we had a gripe. And yet we brought in Snider. I can't make sense of it....unless the idea was throwing a few guys at the problem to see if one of them stuck...until Alvarez was ready.

It is consistent with how this organization views risks. They would rather risk money on DeAza and Matusz then give a 4th year to Cruz or Markakis.

Archived