vs. WHITE SOX, 5/28 (Game One)

OFFNY

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was shocked at how good he was last year.

The throwing out runners stat, I think, is very deceptive. It's like ERA which doesn't take into account fielding. The catcher quite obviously has a lot to do with it, but there are pitchers who hold the runners so well noone even tries to run on them regardless of catcher. This tells me the pitcher probably is quite responsible for throwing runners out.

Now I know you played the game and all so don't come down too hard on me...

Yes the HPU has every right to make the call.

But in what way does it hurt for him to allow the base umps, who have a better view, make it?

Just as SOP, a guy checks his swing, the HPU looks to the base ump for the call.

Who is hurt?

No one. And I said it was close enough for him to do just that.

The throwing out runners stat, I think, is very deceptive. It's like ERA which doesn't take into account fielding. The catcher quite obviously has a lot to do with it, but there are pitchers who hold the runners so well noone even tries to run on them regardless of catcher. This tells me the pitcher probably is quite responsible for throwing runners out.

You also get some of the Orsulak effect.

Very true.

I agree with you. Not sure where the recent Caleb hate is coming from. Regardless, he will be our catcher next year more than likely.

People subconsciously know Wieters is coming and are prepping for the let down by lowering the bar. :rolleyes:

Archived