vs. WHITE SOX, 5/28 (Game One)

OFFNY

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I said, I thought he made the correct call. Manny's quick recoil of the bat may have made it more difficult, but if you go back and look at it he definitely offered. Was it close enough to ask for help? Maybe. Does he have to ask? No.

You are watching replay. No way HP ump can see that. None. And quoting a post of a high school ump who by his own admission would get in the face of a the player doesn't sit well with me. That's a kind of ump needs to be run out of the game as he's making it about himself at that point. Much like many of the joke umps in the majors we all know too well.

I umpire the high school and college level and can tell you if you know hes gone then hes gone. Part of that is because in most high school games you don't have an umpire at each base so the base umpire is always at second. You get used to doing it your own that way.

However, if you know a guy went theres no reason to go to first. Sometimes the umpire down there isn't paying attention or didn't get a good view ETC.

I thought blue was pretty calm down, if a guy throws his bat like that while I'm working the dish not only do I toss him but I'm up right in his face after it.

I agree with your post except for this:

I thought blue was pretty calm down, if a guy throws his bat like that while I'm working the dish not only do I toss him but I'm up right in his face after it

I also do/did high school and small college ball. When I tossed a guy I walked away. No need to escalate the situation

IMHO

You are watching replay. No way HP ump can see that. None. And quoting a post of a high school ump who by his own admission would get in the face of a the player doesn't sit well with me. That's a kind of ump needs to be run out of the game as he's making it about himself at that point. Much like many of the joke umps in the majors we all know too well.

For the record, I am a high level college ump who has worked 15 ACC tournaments. And yes often times myself and other umpires will get into it with a player if they are totally shown up like that.

I'm assuming you've never umpired a game before behind the dish but you can tell if somebody swings like Manny did. He broke the plane it was clear to see in live time for me.

To talk like you have a clue about umpiring is a total joke. Then again your baseball knowledge on here leaves a lot to be desired.

For the record, I am a high level college ump who has worked 15 ACC tournaments. And yes often times myself and other umpires will get into it with a player if they are totally shown up like that.

I'm assuming you've never umpired a game before behind the dish but you can tell if somebody swings like Manny did. He broke the plane it was clear to see in live time for me.

To talk like you have a clue about umpiring is a total joke. Then again your baseball knowledge on here leaves a lot to be desired.

Those are the umpires that baseball needs to fire. You are not the game. You are an impartial observer. Anything that causes attention to you is bad. And the home plate umpire should never make that call unless he fully swung.

And before you go making baseless accusations I have umpired before.

Those are the umpires that baseball needs to fire. You are not the game. You are an impartial observer. Anything that causes attention to you is bad. And the home plate umpire should never make that call unless he fully swung.

And before you go making baseless accusations I have umpired before.

Well if you have went thru any formal umpire training you know we are taught that if you can make the call yourself you make it yourself. Plain and simple. Manny swung. Thats all there is to it.

I selected one sentence in his post which I highlighted in bold. It wasn't an endorsement of anything else. I'm sure that's obvious to most people.

Manny swung - no question. But there is no reason for the home plate umpire to not ask for help. Only reason he doesn't is because of ego.

As a HPU I have other things to look for. A check swing isn't one of them.

And you getting into a players face is just wrong on any level.

Sorry

Manny swung - no question. But there is no reason for the home plate umpire to not ask for help. Only reason he doesn't is because of ego.

As a HPU I have other things to look for. A check swing isn't one of them.

And you getting into a players face is just wrong on any level.

Sorry

Lets take this to PM to not clutter up the board but lets play the game of who's worked the higher level.

I'm not saying its RIGHT to right back after a player but I don't take much from players or coaches. I DON'T start it but I sure can finish it. I was actually bumped by an ACC umpire this year long story short he got suspended I was told good job by my superiors.

Archived