Dariel Alvarez is warming up

wildcard

Yes, if he hits wildly and unbelievably better than he has all year few will notice that he has plate discipline worse than an average NL pitcher. But why would you put more weight on a theoretical 80 at bat hot streak than his current .722 career/.684 current AAA OPS in 401 PAs?

Its called player development.

Last year he hit 15 HR, 87 RBI, 306/330/472/802 in 359 at bats at AA. Now he is making the adjustments and starting to hit well at AAA. Can't be sure yet but that is what might be happening.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alvarez continued his hot streak last night. He went 3 for 4.

He has now had 20 hits in 58 at bats for a .345 average in this last 17 games. He also has 4 HR and 12 RBI in the period.

Alvarez sounds like he is playing himself into position to be the "Next-Man-Up!"

Alvarez continued his hot streak last night. He went 3 for 4.

He has now had 20 hits in 58 at bats for a .345 average in this last 17 games. He also has 4 HR and 12 RBI in the period.

Yeah, but with Reimold up, it will be a long time before any promotion is considered. No room at the inn.

Yeah, but with Reimold up, it will be a long time before any promotion is considered. No room at the inn.

You are correct. Some were wondering why Reimold was brought up when it appears pitching might be more important with the bp short and BM suspended. I wonder if they wanted to see if Reimold could still be successful at this level and give him the month before he could opt out of his contract. If Reimold does poorly and Alverez remains hot, things could look different in a month.

You are correct. Some were wondering why Reimold was brought up when it appears pitching might be more important with the bp short and BM suspended. I wonder if they wanted to see if Reimold could still be successful at this level and give him the month before he could opt out of his contract. If Reimold does poorly and Alverez remains hot, things could look different in a month.

I suspect Reimold is going to get a few weeks to audition himself for a job. Once Schoop is scheduled to come back, then DD will be making a roster adjustment and somebody is gone.

Reimold's opt out is gone. It was an opt out if he wasn't promoted by a certain date. Now that has been promoted it is not a factor anymore. I think they promoted Reimold because they thought he could help the O's. Reimold has major league experience.

Its good that Alvarez has started hitting but he has to sustain it for a while at AAA before the O's will want to promote him. Just keep doing what you are doing Dariel.

Reimold's opt out is gone. It was an opt out if he wasn't promoted by a certain date. Now that has been promoted it is not a factor anymore. I think they promoted Reimold because they thought he could help the O's. Reimold has major league experience.

Its good that Alvarez has started hitting but he has to sustain it for a while at AAA before the O's will want to promote him. Just keep doing what you are doing Dariel.

I agree, hopefully, get more polished and seasoned and figure into the 2016 Roster plans.

Alvarez could be one of those guys who struggles for a good while when he moves up a level and then does well after adjusting. If that's he case, they need to fix the rest of the lineup before they bring him up. This is not the right time for him to struggle for a few hundred ABs. I expect we will see him in September; maybe sooner if we either take a big lead in the division or fall out of contention.

I truly believe Alvarez could have made more of an impact with this team than Reimold. I like Nolan but just not sure we are going to notice a whole lot. Maybe work ethic and speed? Regardless, hope the offense picks up.

I truly believe Alvarez could have made more of an impact with this team than Reimold. I like Nolan but just not sure we are going to notice a whole lot. Maybe work ethic and speed? Regardless, hope the offense picks up.

One difference, Reimold has played at the major league level and isn't a prospect.

Look at Walker, everybody thought he was the heir thone to Davis and now, its looking more like he isn't.

One difference, Reimold has played at the major league level and isn't a prospect.

Look at Walker, everybody thought he was the heir thone to Davis and now, its looking more like he isn't.

I don't think most thought Walker was heir to Davis. I know I definitely didn't. I would say few did actually, big shoes to fill.

True-I just think Alvarez may have more of a spark. Who knows. I don't like that he is such a free swinger, he needs to improve there. That might be something Jones/Schoop can help with first hand.

I don't think most thought Walker was heir to Davis. I know I definitely didn't. I would say few did actually, big shoes to fill.

True-I just think Alvarez may have more of a spark. Who knows. I don't like that he is such a free swinger, he needs to improve there. That might be something Jones/Schoop can help with first hand.

It was tough to see anything in Walker in his brief callup. I never thought of him as our next 1B.

Everybody? I'd say it was a minority. Walker hit well for about a month after his AAA promotion last year, then cooled off a lot, then didn't look that good in his September call-up, plus he clearly had work to do on the defensive side of things. I thought he'd hit better than he's hitting right now (and still think he will finish higher), but to me, it's always been a bit of a longshot that he'd be anything more than a stopgap at 1B.

As to Alvarez, I think he is better defensively than Walker. I'm not sure he's much better as a hitter. But if he can be a .700ish guy who plays the field pretty well and has a gun for an arm, he'll probably have a decent major league career.

Archived