One third of the way through the season and its official. Its not early any more.

wildcard

Technically the one third mark was this morning. But I was busy, or lost interest or something.

So the O's are on pace to win 75. Don't get too excited.

Their 3.90 ERA makes them 8th in the AL.

Their 706 OPS is 8th in the AL.

Their .986 fielding percentage has them tie for 5th.

When you sum it all up its a slightly below average team. Kind of sucks.

So what has to happen?

So the pitching and defense improved in May with the O's pitching being the 2nd best in the AL at a 3.38 ERA. We have to hope that holds up just like that for the next 4 months.

And the offense?

1) Well Wieters has to stop being called Jesus and actually be the savior of this team with the bat, glove, arm and calling the game.

2) I am fine with Davis hitting 36 HR and having 96 RBIs. And the 231 strikeouts is ok too. It keeps the bases from getting cluttered.

3) If Jones can finish with a 309/347/498/844, I am fine with that also.

4) If Manny can score 90 that is ok in 627 at bats. I'd like 100 runs scored but beggars can't be choosey.

But from here on out it turns into creative thought. Sometimes called dreaming.

I think there is hope for Hardy and Flaherty. Hardy's passed history give me some hope and Flaherty's current hitting streak makes me cross my fingers, close my eyes and hope.

Delmon, Pearce and Paredes are in a different category for me. Kind of squint and say "Well I have seen them be good before". Logic tells me something else but I have to ignore the logic guy.

Maybe there is a productive Alvarez or Parmelee or Urrutia in the O's not too distance future. Hey, I am already squinting.

So what is there to hang my hat on that this season will turn out well? I do like Buck....and Dan... and Wally and Dom.

Maybe there is enough hope in here somewhere to get me through the rest of the season........if I keep squinting.

Technically the one third mark was this morning. But I was busy, or lost interest or something.

So the O's are on pace to win 75. Don't get too excited.

Their 3.90 ERA makes them 8th in the AL.

Their 706 OPS is 8th in the AL.

Their .986 fielding percentage has them tie for 5th.

When you sum it all up its a slightly below average team. Kind of sucks.

So what has to happen?

So the pitching and defense improved in May with the O's pitching being the 2nd best in the AL at a 3.38 ERA. We have to hope that holds up just like that for the next 4 months.

And the offense?

1) Well Wieters has to stop being called Jesus and actually be the savior of this team with the bat, glove, arm and calling the game.

2) I am fine with Davis hitting 36 HR and having 96 RBIs. And the 231 strikeouts is ok too. It keeps the bases from getting cluttered.

3) If Jones can finish with a 309/347/498/844, I am fine with that also.

4) If Manny can score 90 that is ok in 627 at bats. I'd like 100 runs scored but beggars can't be choosey.

But from here on out it turns into creative thought. Sometimes called dreaming.

I think there is hope for Hardy and Flaherty. Hardy's passed history give me some hope and Flaherty's current hitting streak makes me cross my fingers, close my eyes and hope.

Delmon, Pearce and Paredes are in a different category for me. Kind of squint and say "Well I have seen them be good before". Logic tells me something else but I have to ignore the logic guy.

Maybe there is a productive Alvarez or Parmelee or Urrutia in the O's not too distance future. Hey, I am already squinting.

So what is there to hang my hat on that this season will turn out well? I do like Buck....and Dan... and Wally and Dom.

Maybe there is enough hope in here somewhere to get me through the rest of the season........if I keep squinting.

Nice post. Runs win games. We were 26th in MLB in May in runs scored and are 27th thus far in June. If we don't score more runs, we will definitely be at 75 or less wins. Tillman has to stop his pattern of a lousy game after a good game and I believe he probably will. We will see if Norris gives us anything, but I am tossing him in the pen if he doesn't pitch well today and going with Gausman or Wright. Pearce and Hardy have to start contributing something offensively. It would help if Matt goes ballistic and if Schoop comes back guns blazing, but, frankly, I am not holding my breath. I think this is a .500 team and it could be much worse if things continue on the path they have been on for this first third of the season.

DEAD LAST.THATS WHERE WE ARE. Yeah, its only 5 and a half games. but there hasn't been much room for optimism. The pitchers have been mostly pretty good if you take out Norris and Tillman's disappointing year. If we hit, say, in the upper third of the league, we should be better, but thats unlikely with this line up. Weve had horrible seasons from Hardy, Pearce, Lough, Snider, and Joseph hasn't shown much offensively. The fact is, this team just can't hit. Its no aberration. They can't hit. Nothing in the minors suggests that it will change. A Schoop return might help somewhat but the corner outfield and the SS and DH have killed this team offensively.I won't harp again on what we had that we let get away(NO, Nick isn't part of that equation), but clearly the logic has been a disaster. The minimum expectation from the outfielders and others hasn't even been close to the reality. I think we win 77 games and then next year we are rebuilding again.Its tough to admit, and it sounds negative, but thats my take.

Its time for some moves to make the offense better. Wieters was one but they need more.

Archived