MASN: Brady Anderson on Brian Matusz

weams

"Brian was sharp," Anderson said yesterday. "He was throwing 92 mph. It was good."

Matusz is disappointed, to put it mildly, that Major League Baseball upheld his suspension while reducing Will Smith's to six games. Matusz was hoping that all eight games would be removed following his hearing last week in Houston.

"You have a choice when something like that happens," Anderson said. "Brian, unlike the others here, isn't hurt. With his pitching schedule in the big leagues, he hasn't thrown a lot. We haven't seen a lot of left-handed bats. We've seen a lot of right-handed lineups. Brian hasn't thrown a ton in the big leagues, so he has an opportunity to come down here and work and have multi-inning outings. Work on things that he can bring back to the big leagues.

"He can say, 'I got suspended, I got screwed,' or he can say, 'This is my fate and how can I get better?' And I think that's the mindset we want to instill."

Matusz is 1-2 with a 3.44 ERA and 1.527 WHIP in 17 appearances, with 17 hits allowed, 11 walks, 14 strikeouts and two hit batters in 18 1/3 innings. He's experienced a few significant gaps between appearances, going from April 25 to May 5 and May 10 to May 19 without pitching.

"He needs to work, he needs to pitch," Anderson said. "And he's going to pitch well

Roch Kubatko

Archived