2015 2nd (68) - Jonathan Hughes - RHP - HS (GA)

You are taking the 5% into account?

I was, but was also just going according to what Baseball America had listed as their current spend prior to signing Stewart/Hughes. The 5% should be about an extra $350K and Baseball America has them currently at slightly more than $200K over allotment. It's probably closer to $150K above slot allotment remaining in the aggregate.

Edited by Stotle

I was, but was also just going according to what Baseball America had listed as their current spend prior to signing Stewart/Hughes. The 5% should be about an extra $350K and Baseball America has them currently at slightly more than $200K over allotment. It's probably closer to $150K above slot allotment remaining in the aggregate.

Is our tracker incorrect? It show us 21K over allotment, not 200K. Did one of our guys sign for more than we think?

Is our tracker incorrect? It show us 21K over allotment, not 200K. Did one of our guys sign for more than we think?

I don't know your tracker vs BA's. I just popped over to BA's because a link came up on Twitter.

Or Baseball America missed the second senior sign.

That would make sense -- about another $250K or so, then?

Or Baseball America missed the second senior sign.
I don't know your tracker vs BA's. I just popped over to BA's because a link came up on Twitter.

That would make sense -- about another $250K or so, then?

Ours is pretty correct. Maybe not to the penny but darned close.

Ours is pretty correct. Maybe not to the penny but darned close.

First, the OH draft tracker is off by $5k because the Jaylen Ferguson slot difference is $19.5k and not $24.5k.

Second, using the OH numbers, I calculate potential $ for Morris as follow: Os Overage $342k less overslot $ per corrected draft tracker $16.5k plus $100k slot bonus for Morris nets to about $426k.

Third, BA's numbers do not include the Flaa and Curran signings. Together, these signings would open up $214k to calculated $ available for signings on BA's calculations.

Fourth, BA has a feature which calculates the max available for a particular player based on current signings. For Morris, that number is $253.7k. When one adds the Flaa and Curran signings, that number jumps to $467k.

I can not account for the $41k or so difference between BA and our draft tracker, but I have to believe the numbers are directionally correct. There may be more $ available for Morris if Hughes signs for less than slot.

• Upvote 1

Still no news. I am happy that everyone else in the top 20 has signed and am not a big fan of the Hughes pick. If Hughes is not willing to sign for enough below slot to sign Pries, Walton, or Morris, I wouldn't be opposed to not signing Hughes and getting the #69 (heh) pick next season. Paying $8500 or so in overage tax and having the #69 pick next year is preferable to paying Hughes close to full slot.

Murph,

I dont know why that never crossed my mind, but that really is a great strategy. Go for elite talent with your 1st round pick and then go for player with 3rd-4th round talent that you could sign for under slot with the 2nd rounder.

That way, you could get a player whose still talented enough to contribute to your big league club one day and save pool money for other top 10 picks. Or, your hardball doesnt work and he doesnt sign and you get a 2nd round pick the next year. Im a fan already.

Not signing a 1st round pick can look bad on a club and delays elite talent influx for another year, but the 2nd round pick could be a great gamble.

I only have this to fall back on. He told the press he is signing and reporting to Florida. That's all I've got.

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/archives/110219/

Jonathan Hughes’ dream is now a reality: he’s going to be a professional baseball player.

After being selected by the Baltimore Orioles with the 68th overall pick in the second round of the MLB draft Monday, Hughes will forego his scholarship opportunity to pitch at Georgia Tech.

The 6-foot-2, 184-pound Hughes said the decision to sign was simple. He said the paperwork will be signed later this week, before he reports Monday to play rookie-league ball with Sarasota (Fla.) in the Gulf Coast League.

Hughes got a call in the second round between the 50th and 52nd pick, from Baltimore Orioles area scout Arthur McConnehead, wanting to know if he would be ready to sign if the team drafted him at No. 68. Jonathan told the scout yes. Hughes said he received another call around the No. 63 pick from Baltimore, saying it had officially sent in his name as their pick at No. 68.

Then it happened. Hughes was picked, like Baltimore promised, with the 68th pick

This could be anything from the kid wanting more $, to an issue in the physical to the Os trying to squeeze some additional $ here to sign one of the post round 10 kids. It sure sounds like there were pre-draft parameters financially.

As a point of reference, the Angels gave injured, highly rated, Maryland HS pitcher Nick Adenhart $710k as a signing bonus to forego college. Not sure if Morris rates that high or if Hughes would warrant an underslot signing to get us closer to that amount.

Hughes is a guy our scouts had in our top 50 with a lively 95 mph fastball. I expect we will sign him.

Edited by hoosiers

This could be anything from the kid wanting more $, to an issue in the physical to the Os trying to squeeze some additional $ here to sign one of the post round 10 kids. It sure sounds like there were pre-draft parameters financially.

As a point of reference, the Angels gave injured, highly rated, Maryland HS pitcher Nick Adenhart $710k as a signing bonus to forego college. Not sure if Morris rates that high or if Hughes would warrant an underslot signing to get us closer to that amount.

Hughes is a guy our scouts had in our top 50 with a lively 95 mph fastball. I expect we will sign him.

Adenhart was pre-slotting. Not sure how good a comp he is.

Adenhart was pre-slotting. Not sure how good a comp he is.

Dylan Cease should be the upper-limit comp for an injured high upside high school power arm.