2015 2nd (68) - Jonathan Hughes - RHP - HS (GA)

KLaw is guessing no, Callis doesn't make prediction.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My best guess - Swanson, Kirby, Buehler sign; Funkhouser, Singer, Hughes, Betts, Cody don't. <a href="http://t.co/Hk9t3av0Y2">http://t.co/Hk9t3av0Y2</a></p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">July 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KLaw is guessing no, Callis doesn't make prediction.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My best guess - Swanson, Kirby, Buehler sign; Funkhouser, Singer, Hughes, Betts, Cody don't. <a href="http://t.co/Hk9t3av0Y2">http://t.co/Hk9t3av0Y2</a></p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">July 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, if that happens, it will be very disappointing...kind of a waste of a high draft pick.

Well, if that happens, it will be very disappointing...kind of a waste of a high draft pick.

Nope...Not really. We had a great haul this year in regards to our picks and signing them. I dont mind putting this pick in our back pocket for next year now.

We are talking:

Our 1st

2 Comp picks (2 out of 3 of Wieters, Davis, Chen)

Our 2nd round Pick

Another 2nd round pick for not signing Hughes

Possibly Comp B pick

That is 7 and possibly 8 picks in the top 75. At worst it will be 6.

As upset as people may be with a step back next year (though not as pronounced as everyone thinks it will be). Having Gausmen, Mike Wright, Givens, Stewart, Alverez, Mancini and Bundy(I have faith) knocking on the door along with Harvey right behind them could ease fears about near term prospects.

Then you add 7 top 75 picks to Reyes, Cisco, Mountcastle, Peralta, McKenna, Heinrich, Fenter, and Curran for our long term development could completely re-shape this franchise.

Oh yeah, and we have Machado, Jones, and Schoop who are top 3 players at their position (Or in Schoops case, top 10 with a chance to be top 5 in the near future).

This just gets frustrating every year. A high draft pick holds out until the last day or does not sign. They miss out on development and instructions that could benefit them down the road. In Hughes' case, I assume the O's got assurances that if drafted early he would sign. You do not pick a kid that high without some confidence he signs. I wonder who the kid's agent is. Is he getting bad advice? Did he change his mind and is firm on going to collage? Was someone not honest? Just frustrating.

This just gets frustrating every year. A high draft pick holds out until the last day or does not sign. They miss out on development and instructions that could benefit them down the road. In Hughes' case, I assume the O's got assurances that if drafted early he would sign. You do not pick a kid that high without some confidence he signs. I wonder who the kid's agent is. Is he getting bad advice? Did he change his mind and is firm on going to collage? Was someone not honest? Just frustrating.

He announce that he was signing and starting his process when picked. He told his area scout he would sing when called pred draft selection. He has no agent only an advisor. I assume the Orioles want to give some of his money to someone else. Or just decided they want the pick for 2016. We will know soon enough. The Orioles were about to sign all the players there wanted to without him or his slot allotment. I assume there is an overslot we are still speaking with.

Nope...Not really. We had a great haul this year in regards to our picks and signing them. I dont mind putting this pick in our back pocket for next year now.

We are talking:

Our 1st

Our 2nd round Pick

Possibly Comp B pick

As upset as people may be with a step back next year (though not as pronounced as everyone thinks it will be). Having Gausmen, Mike Wright, Givens, Stewart, Alverez, Mancini and Bundy(I have faith) knocking on the door along with Harvey right behind them could ease fears about near term prospects.

Then you add 7 top 75 picks to Reyes, Cisco, Mountcastle, Peralta, McKenna, Heinrich, Fenter, and Curran for our long term development could completely re-shape this franchise.

Oh yeah, and we have Machado, Jones, and Schoop who are top 3 players at their position (Or in Schoops case, top 10 with a chance to be top 5 in the near future).

True, but how many of those draft picks and prospects will Duquette trade??? ;)

Thanks Weams! Appreciate the insight. If there is a second player involved I wonder who. 20th Round pick Adam Walton is a RS Soph at Illinois. He may want the extra cash to sign.

I have no insider knowledge of this. Only what I read the kid tell his hometown paper.

We are talking:

Our 1st

Our 2nd round Pick

Possibly Comp B pick

If you like Hughes because you like his baseball skills, then you sign him. There is nothing gained by moving him to next year unless you think it is a deeper draft class and you will get a better player.

Otherwise, saying you have 8 of the top 75 picks in next years draft is weaker than saying you have Hughes plus 7 of the top 75 picks next year.

If you like Hughes because you like his baseball skills, then you sign him. There is nothing gained by moving him to next year unless you think it is a deeper draft class and you will get a better player.

Otherwise, saying you have 8 of the top 75 picks in next years draft is weaker than saying you have Hughes plus 7 of the top 75 picks next year.

If you think Hughes is a fourth round talent but you drafted him at 68 because you thought it could save money to sign a 20th rounder, then it turns out that it wouldn't save enough money to sign the 20th rounder, then yeah something is gained by not signing him as you are essentially trading a #69 pick in next year's draft for whatever you think Hughes' actual value is. If you think Hughes actual value is a fourth round talent, that difference is significant.

• Upvote 1

If you think Hughes is a fourth round talent but you drafted him at 68 because you thought it could save money to sign a 20th rounder, then it turns out that it wouldn't save enough money to sign the 20th rounder, then yeah something is gained by not signing him as you are essentially trading a #69 pick in next year's draft for whatever you think Hughes' actual value is. If you think Hughes actual value is a fourth round talent, that difference is significant.

Bingo. You nailed it. This is just how the new draft pool works. So we either get Hughes and a overslot guy or we take a player with an actual second round grade next year. We always fawn over how teams can manipulate the draft so well. Well now we're doing it.

Thanks Murph and that is exactly what I have alluded to previously. Its hard to justify doing this with a 1st round pick, but a 2nd is perfect. Take someone in the 2nd who has 4-6th round talent and 10+ round bonus demands. You still get a really strong prospect but also save a lot of money for other picks. The added leverage if getting that pick next year helps in negotiations.